Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Alone In The Wilderness
Alone In The Wilderness [message #91538] Sun, 08 March 2020 06:51 Go to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ahwoooooooooooo, woo, woo, woooooooo! Sorry, call of the wild there. PBS was begging as frequently they have to do now. Govt. funding ain't what it use to be, (a subject for the dungeon) so they ask the public to help them stay on the air. One enticement they were plugging last night was an amazing documentary I never tire seeing about one man, Richard,'Dick' Proenneke who lived alone in a log cabin for 30 years he hand built in the Alaska wilderness in the mid 60's, when he was in his 50's until he was 82 years old. Self filmed using a tripod and 16mm camera. He shows the process of him using hand tools and his innate craftsmanship and simple theme of living off the land, using what was available to live about as close to nature as the animals do. With some human ingenuity applied to make the going a bit more habitable. He makes his own utensils, furniture, grows his vittles and harvests only what he needs of the wildlife to get through the brutal winters. Just scenes of him going about his daily routines and chores, and continuous creations of things he takes a notion to make for his needs. Watching this production makes you think about our dependence on our society's infrastructure and preoccupation with so much of its excesses. If never seen before it's a real worthwhile view. If I was a third as productive as Mr. Proenneke was on any given day of his wilderness test as he called it, I'd be exhausted, but a sight more satisfied.
https://mountainlake.org/alone-in-the-wilderness/
Re: Alone In The Wilderness [message #91542 is a reply to message #91538] Mon, 09 March 2020 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I've seen it a couple of times and it just seemed like a lonely way to live to me. He had friends fly in supplies every few weeks, but other than that, he was mostly alone. It seemed to suit him, though. Proenneke obviously learned some useful skills from his time in the navy and on the job as a mechanic which surely helped him survive. However, he was also incredibly intelligent and talented, much more so than the average person in my opinion. He's fun to watch and somehow makes mundane tasks seem exciting. Overall though, sometimes the movie seemed like a grand adventure about outwitting nature, other times it felt like he could've ended up like Timothy Treadwell. He didn't, but maybe that's just luck.
Re: Alone In The Wilderness [message #91545 is a reply to message #91542] Tue, 10 March 2020 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
He lived on natures terms, by his wits, energy and intellect. He referred to his initial attempt trying out this lifestyle as a test. And it evidently agreed with him. I don't see any connection with the Treadwell character at all, other than being in the Alaskan outback. Proenneke lived close to the wildlife indigenous to the location. But he didn't invite disaster to himself like Treadwell did with misinterpretation of inherently dangerous animals in close proximity and just a camera. And Proenneke didn't seek out any notoriety during his great outdoor's testament and amazing adaptation to nature. Treadwell didn't live up to his name and paid the ultimate price. A grizzly's dinner.
Re: Alone In The Wilderness [message #91563 is a reply to message #91545] Mon, 16 March 2020 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I haven't seen it but it sounds like he's the OG of selfies and he missed out on a big opportunity at an influencer career. Think about it, if that happened today every bit of it would be sponsored and done for the 'Gram.

I haven't seen his videos, but I've read his memoir and he's an amazing guy. Very humble too.
Re: Alone In The Wilderness [message #91581 is a reply to message #91545] Wed, 18 March 2020 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Rusty wrote on Tue, 10 March 2020 10:01
But he didn't invite disaster to himself like Treadwell did with misinterpretation of inherently dangerous animals in close proximity and just a camera. And Proenneke didn't seek out any notoriety during his great outdoor's testament and amazing adaptation to nature.
Well, I meant no harm. To me they are similar men because both were seeking something outside themselves to feel okay. I disagree that Proenneke didn't invite disaster. He was alone in the wilderness without the option for medical help, in dangerous temps, using tools that could sever an artery, with only his wits to keep himself fed, and surrounded by animals that will kill humans. I mean, that's why his story is so cool. That's why people still talk about how amazing he was. He was self-reliant in the deadly wilderness of Alaska. You couldn't produce this thing in New York City without becoming a laughingstock. Look at the reality show Survivor. Yeah, they're living by their wits (sort of) but there's a medical tent and helicopters that can evacuate someone who needs help. The show catches flack for that.

We know it turned out okay and that he thrived. Proenneke lived to be 86. But yeah, while watching I kept thinking he could've ended up like Treadwell. Besides that, can you imagine the toothaches he had to have?
Re: Alone In The Wilderness [message #91583 is a reply to message #91581] Wed, 18 March 2020 19:46 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No worries Leot. No umbrage taken. But I still believe the two men though alike in a basic sense in their appreciation of nature. That's where it ended. Proenneke made a personal commitment to living year round in the environment of his choice and made careful intelligent safeguards in his shelter and provisions to minimize disaster from occurring. Enough so to do it for 30 years.
Timothy Treadwell, just reading from wikipedia. Well respected people, a research ecologist saying Treadwell was breaking every park rule there was in regards to distance from bears, harassing wildlife and interfering with natural processes. Another researcher whom had extensive experience with bear populations wrote of Treadwell's basic lack of safety precautions.
Treadwell also was careless enough to involve his girlfriend whom was killed along with him due to his ignorance of or disdain of basic rules of engagement with wild dangerous animals. Something Proenneke would not and did not play folly with. Film footage shows him carrying a hunting rifle.
I get your gist, and of course there was an element of risk to doing such a profound commitment. One did it by mitigating the odds. The other's luck ran out by their own folly.
Previous Topic: Talented singers
Next Topic: Which are the most anticipated ones?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:27:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio