Home » Audio » General » How is sound important?
How is sound important? [message #91532] Sat, 07 March 2020 08:16 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Has anyone of you tried to venture into the study of sound? How would the world be without it? It is impossible to imagine this. It feels our days with excitement and meaning. How is sound useful to you?
Re: How is sound important? [message #91534 is a reply to message #91532] Sat, 07 March 2020 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Dude, that's what this whole website is about.

What exactly are you trying to learn in this thread?

This website is frequented by people that want the most believable illusion of "being there" from recorded music and sounds through their stereo systems and home theaters.

We study what traits are most important for the reproduced sound to be pleasant, accurate and believable.
Re: How is sound important? [message #91536 is a reply to message #91534] Sat, 07 March 2020 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I understand the deaf develop an enhanced sense of touch. To feel sound. It's hard to imagine what of the senses would be the most difficult to loose. But those that have seem to compensate for it remarkably. My goal in a music system was always to obtain a soundscape that emoted a realistic feel and intellectually by doing a bit of diy to obtain that end.
Re: How is sound important? [message #91702 is a reply to message #91532] Wed, 15 April 2020 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The best way to answer this question, I think, is to imagine waking up and no one hears anything. From verbalizing, to singing, to strumming a guitar to a tree falling in the woods to a train coming down the tracks. Imagine that, and then think: How important is THIS? How important is the lack of sound.

Remember, thinking doesn't require sound.
Re: How is sound important? [message #91708 is a reply to message #91702] Wed, 15 April 2020 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Kingfish wrote on Wed, 15 April 2020 12:45
Remember, thinking doesn't require sound.

Laughing My kids seem to think it does! Laughing
Re: How is sound important? [message #91724 is a reply to message #91708] Sat, 18 April 2020 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
Laughing

Yeah, sound is important but some people need to learn how to "even it out" so to speak.

Noise pollution is a thing in the big cities, and one reason people like to get away from it all and go camping and such on the weekends is to get away from the noise.

In moderation it's good. Let's you know the clock is still ticking and things are alive.
Re: How is sound important? [message #92000 is a reply to message #91532] Sun, 31 May 2020 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Remember that old question: "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

The correct answer of course is yes, because two objects come together with enough force to create a sound from that "meeting".

The importance of sound I believe can only be registered when there is none anymore. Only then will you truly realize how important it is.
Re: How is sound important? [message #94665 is a reply to message #91532] Sun, 24 October 2021 03:44 Go to previous message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
I can't imagine having to live in that kind of world. For sure, that will be one less way of learning things since you'll be relying on your eyes most of the time. The entertainment industry will be limited, considering that even so-called silent films have sounds.
Previous Topic: The social aspect of music platforms
Next Topic: Audio Photographer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:03:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout