Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers
Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers [message #91478] Fri, 21 February 2020 19:49 Go to next message
AngelAlameda1972 is currently offline  AngelAlameda1972
Esquire
Hello my name is Angel Alameda and I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I bought a couple of speakers 2 nights ago which i believe are Pi Speakers. One has a 15 and a horn the other pair are towers and have a tweeter and 10 inch woofer. I hope these are Pi speakers I never had any but I remember reading about these speakers several years ago. I haven't taken these apart to check what drivers are in them. I might need to find someone who can help me make the emblems if at all possible if these are Pi Speakers. Thank you all in advance.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2517&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2516&private=0
Re: Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers [message #91480 is a reply to message #91478] Sat, 22 February 2020 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The top one is a two Pi tower and the bottom one is a three Pi speaker with Delta 12LF woofer and probably a PSD2002 on an old H290 radial horn. I'd update the horn to our H290C waveguide and possibly the midwoofer too. But they look to be in decent shape.

The H290C is a drop-in upgrade and costs only fifty bucks. It will require a crossover update, but that's just inserting a resistor and removing a capacitor so it's inexpensive and easy.

We used to be in Tulsa so there are lots of Pi Speakers there.

Now we're "just down the street" in Bella Vista Arkansas.
Re: Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers [message #91481 is a reply to message #91480] Sat, 22 February 2020 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
That's what I don't get Wayne - they are 15 inch drivers in there.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2518&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2519&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2520&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2521&private=0
Re: Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers [message #91482 is a reply to message #91481] Sat, 22 February 2020 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It might be an older model from the 1980s or 1990s. Back then, we used to make several series, like Thermionic, Theater, Stage, etc. Pull the midwoofer, read the label and report back.
Re: Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers [message #91483 is a reply to message #91482] Sat, 22 February 2020 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire

Ok I got it apart. Here you go Wayne

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2522&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2523&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2524&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2525&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2526&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2527&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2528&private=0
Re: Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers [message #91484 is a reply to message #91478] Sat, 22 February 2020 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wow, I did not know Pi speakers were in business since the 80s, Wayne. By the way I'm happy with them the way they are I just wanted to make sure they were Pi speakers before I start finding a way to make the emblems. Thank you for your help sir.
Re: Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers [message #91486 is a reply to message #91484] Sun, 23 February 2020 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The plans for my first commercially available loudspeaker model were registered in the US copyright office in 1977. I did a few experimental designs before that, but my first loudspeakers were made in 1977.

The first models were just bass reflex designs, then I got interested in directivity and made the first constant directivity cornerhorns in 1979. A year or two after that, I did some DI-matched two-ways. By the early 1980s, all the models had become standardized, basically becoming the same line I have today. After that, all my efforts have been essentially incremental improvements in the same basic designs.

What you have looks like a 1990s era Theater Series four Pi loudspeaker. It was very popular back then. I no longer make that version of the four Pi, but it uses the same basic design as the models available now. The biggest change is the use of an OSEC flared waveguide, and a crossover that takes advantage of it.
Re: Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers [message #91487 is a reply to message #91478] Sun, 23 February 2020 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I will have to look into that Wayne. I mean the crossovers and the horn flare. Do I just go to your site? Great speakers by the way.
Re: Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers [message #91489 is a reply to message #91487] Sun, 23 February 2020 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We haven't really talked about the towers, so I'll address those first. They look to be the current versions, with Alpha 10 woofers and Vifa DX-25 tweeters. Those never had a different crossover, so they are the same as current models, provided the cabinets were built to spec. I can send you the plans if you want to verify that the cabinets were built as designed. But the driver compliment is same as current models, and I can only assume the crossovers are too since they haven't changed.

As for the Theater Series four Pi speakers, yes, you can order the H290C waveguides from the website. They can be installed without modifying the cabinet. And we have crossovers too, but not for that particular model. So the closest you could come would be to order the current four Pi crossovers and install them as replacements for the crossovers you now have.

But honestly, I think I'd probably leave the speakers as they are. They're really good, and were probably my most popular model in the 1990s. Seemed like everyone on this forum had Theater fours in that era.

If you want to upgrade, have some current four Pi cabinets built. Also have stands and flanking subs made. That's the next step forward. Mike Lundy can build 'em for you - And he's in Broken Arrow, so he's close.

Maybe live with your Theater fours for a while and whenever you feel like it's time to go to the next level, build the current four Pi cabs and flanking subs. You could even come to my place to hear that setup, or come to the Lone Star Audiofest in Dallas in June. I'll have current models there, and you'll also be able to check out a lot of other gear from other passionate audio companies. Mike Lundy, the cabinetmaker I just mentioned, is one of the other vendors that shows there every year. As is Bruce Heran from OddWatt, Danny Richie from GR Research, Rick Craig from Selah Audio, Dave Thompson from Raven Audio, Micky Seaton from Audio Note UK, and about a dozen other vendors.
Re: Please help ID of 2 sets of speakers [message #91490 is a reply to message #91478] Sun, 23 February 2020 16:34 Go to previous message
Esquire
To be honest, I just put the towers away in the basement for now. I will have to look into those here next couple of weeks. Im really happy that we still have people that care and cater to the hobby. Thank you for the quick and informative response Wayne.
Previous Topic: Three Pi and Three Pi Sub Plans
Next Topic: 4PI Plans Request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:27:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout