Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Hybrid amps
Hybrid amps [message #89765] Sat, 09 February 2019 09:55 Go to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
Do you know if hybrid amps last longer? Have they typically produced better sound when compared to other amps? It seems like buying a hybrid would be the way to go as you'd get the best of both worlds.
Re: Hybrid amps [message #89770 is a reply to message #89765] Sat, 09 February 2019 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'd say, no and no. Great designs can be had with or without the hybrid approach. Which I think is to make something with the trait's of one format, say, tube impressed upon a solid state design. Reliability is part of any honest designer's forethought. With that foundation, the devil in the details can be expressed with creativity. Van Alstine is suppose to have fine hybrid amplifiers. Don't know if they can be said to be superior in sound and reliability to many other non-hybrid designs though. But I bet they have their follower's that would swear by them.
Re: Hybrid amps [message #89774 is a reply to message #89770] Sat, 09 February 2019 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I think it's hard for hybrids to actually produce the best of both worlds - rich tube sound with the signal processing and the reliability of a digital amp. Hybrids tend to be cheaper and they aren't terrible or anything. I've used a model by VOX and another by Orange with my guitar. They were both fine, but nothing spectacular.
Re: Hybrid amps [message #89781 is a reply to message #89774] Sun, 10 February 2019 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Hybrids can excel in some areas. Where there is the need for a lot of gain and low noise solid state devices do very well. However, how they sound may not be to everyone's liking. If you want a warmer sound, often caused by the presence of even harmonics then tubes will probably sound better to you. A hybrid with a high gain front end feeding tube output circuitry can be very nice. It depends on the design and execution. If all the gear has a cathode follower output (like many of the budget hybrids seem to do) then it is not likely to make any difference.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Hybrid amps [message #91434 is a reply to message #89765] Wed, 12 February 2020 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The biggest problem with hybrid amps is the emotional conflict you would feel in deciding whether to post messages in Silicon Valley or in Thermionic Emissions. Laughing
Re: Hybrid amps [message #91435 is a reply to message #89765] Wed, 12 February 2020 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I do understand McIntosh doesn't make the best amp for the money, but the name McIntosh is in the same league as Harley Davidson and Corvette - an American classic. I really like the looks of this one. No I'm not considering spending this kind of money. Laughing https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/new-products/MA352
Re: Hybrid amps [message #92798 is a reply to message #91435] Fri, 18 December 2020 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2675&private=0

It has finally arrived. I said I wouldn't spend so much on any audio component, then I decided to reward myself. It sounds great, but I'm having a terrible case of cognitive dissonance deciding whether to post this in Silicon Valley or the Tubey forum. Tubey or not tubey, that is the question.
  • Attachment: DSC04591.JPG
    (Size: 105.58KB, Downloaded 407 times)
Re: Hybrid amps [message #92799 is a reply to message #92798] Fri, 18 December 2020 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ooo We! That must've been a load getting that on your cabinet. You ended up really treating yourself. So, it looks like a marriage of both a pure tube preamp section to a solid state amplifier? Which with the McIntosh pedigree. You have the best of both. I've used tube preamps with solid state for some years and I'm sold on tube preamps. My experience is they work great with solid state and tube amplification. Whatever works and works well I say. There goes your audio budget now for the next 20 years.
Re: Hybrid amps [message #92803 is a reply to message #92799] Fri, 18 December 2020 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sweet!

Merry Christmas to Fred!
Re: Hybrid amps [message #92805 is a reply to message #92803] Fri, 18 December 2020 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm thinking if it has a tube preamp section and a ss amp section, I should post here in Silicon Valley. If it's vice versa, I should post in the Thermionic Emissions forum. Laughing
Previous Topic: Are amps improving?
Next Topic: The Intellectual People Podcast - Tom Christiansen of Neurochrome
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:05:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout