Home » Audio » Radio » Apps vs Radio
Apps vs Radio [message #89604] Mon, 21 January 2019 19:23 Go to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
I only use an actual radio when I'm in my car driving. When I want to listen to the radio at home I use an app or go to the station's website and stream the audio. How often do you use an actual radio to tune in?
Re: Apps vs Radio [message #89619 is a reply to message #89604] Wed, 23 January 2019 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
I have an old FM radio that I purchased for $10 about twelve years ago. I have it on all the time while I do housework. A few months ago I tried to use an app on my tablet for the radio and the darn thing gave me so much trouble I went back to my old trusted friend. Apps are too much trouble. I'll use Spotify while I'm on my computer sometimes but that's it.
Re: Apps vs Radio [message #89627 is a reply to message #89604] Sun, 27 January 2019 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
TheWanderer wrote on Mon, 21 January 2019 19:23
I only use an actual radio when I'm in my car driving. When I want to listen to the radio at home I use an app or go to the station's website and stream the audio. How often do you use an actual radio to tune in?
This makes the two of us. These apps have it much easier to tune in at any time but nothing comes close to listening to an actual radio. I guess we are heading to a time when there will hardly be any reason to purchase a radio.
Re: Apps vs Radio [message #91001 is a reply to message #89604] Wed, 02 October 2019 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have a station I listen to on the radio when I'm in range. When I go out of range, which is roughly 100 miles, I turn on the app, plug in the aux cord and continue on.
Re: Apps vs Radio [message #91041 is a reply to message #89604] Mon, 07 October 2019 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JordanS is currently offline  JordanS
Chancellor
I use a radio only when I'm in my parents car. I use the TV or my phone at home. I listen to music through my phone (bluetooth) or Sirius. I get sick of all the chatter on the radio.
Re: Apps vs Radio [message #91387 is a reply to message #89604] Wed, 29 January 2020 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joyce is currently offline  Joyce
Chancellor
Even when I get into the car, my daughter starts connecting her Spotify right away and uses her playlist. I know those apps have podcasts, so maybe we can go for those when we are feeling nostalgic. Otherwise, it's just easier to use those apps and listen to music without any interruption.
Re: Apps vs Radio [message #91395 is a reply to message #91387] Thu, 30 January 2020 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, What's an app, what's a radio Laughing Laughing I use the radio in the car much of the time but I have used a hi-res player to feed the system via USB direct connection. Why not it is a high end Harmon Kardon unit that came with the vehicle. At home I use a Marantz 2265B receiver for FM in the shop. My main stereo system has no provision for radio or FM or internet and is strictly for vinyl, CD and R-R tape. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Apps vs Radio [message #91397 is a reply to message #91395] Fri, 31 January 2020 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have an old SoundCraftsman tuner for my home rig. Hardly use it anymore. It's the same problem as in my car. Content. The commercial offerings make me fidget around trying to find anything I can tolerate listening to. I have a freebie cd player for my downstairs shop if I'm doing something involved there.
Re: Apps vs Radio [message #91421 is a reply to message #91397] Fri, 07 February 2020 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joyce is currently offline  Joyce
Chancellor
Sometimes the ads are entertaining and quite informative. You may find a product you're interested in or some nice info once in a while. It's similar to YouTube, though I find the ads there too random for my taste.

I can handle the repetition of those sequences for short trips, but I'd rather have something else for longer ones.
Re: Apps vs Radio [message #91547 is a reply to message #89604] Thu, 12 March 2020 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
We may have all the apps, Spotify and the likes, but nothing comes close to listening to the traditional radio. A lot has changed now, with all the ads and live streaming. Change is (indeed) inevitable.
Previous Topic: Amazing radio collection
Next Topic: Simple ways to improve reception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:46:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout