Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Oscars and Grammys
The Oscars and Grammys [message #91345] Thu, 16 January 2020 08:27 Go to next message
Taurus is currently offline  Taurus
Chancellor
I have just read about the nominees for the Oscars. While I think I see names outside the continent (and that is good), I also see some comments about how irrelevant these awards have become due to their exclusivity. The same goes for the Grammys. How do you feel about it?
Re: The Oscars and Grammys [message #91346 is a reply to message #91345] Thu, 16 January 2020 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think the streaming services setting up shop to produce content has really put a dent in the Hollywood movie-making paradigm. So I'm really glad to see the Oscars allowing eligibility for streaming content.
Re: The Oscars and Grammys [message #91351 is a reply to message #91345] Fri, 17 January 2020 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Streaming services for music and movies have been growing strong in the last decade, but these committees seem slow to accept. Perhaps that's why they lost their credibility. They also fire someone who seems open to those changes (the case of Recording Academy President getting fired by the Board).
Re: The Oscars and Grammys [message #91361 is a reply to message #91351] Mon, 20 January 2020 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've never given too much credence to any entertainment awards ceremonies. Find them boring to watch. Anyone notice how many awards shows there are these days for country music? Seems like every other week an advert comes on the tube for one of these shows. I've read the Oscars have always been rather politicized in the industry by the bean counters and executives to reflect their less than artistic considerations.
Re: The Oscars and Grammys [message #91362 is a reply to message #91361] Mon, 20 January 2020 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, you're right, of course. It happens in every industry, I think. A handful of the industry leaders get together and decide to award themselves. They setup a voting mechanism, but in such a closed system, the votes are always kind of a buddy-system thing.

I used to see this is as kind of sinister or at least deceptive, and sometimes it is. But I've realized that sometimes it is well-intentioned, at least at first. Passionate individuals in an industry may initiate an award for innovation, partly to promote and partly to compete. It is inherently exclusive, but it works very well at first, especially because everyone that's able to participate already is.

After a while, industry newcomers become interested and may actually be even more innovative than the original people and companies in the industry. But the inherent exclusivity of the award mechanism developed when the industry was young prevents the newcomers from getting in. They get miffed, thinking it as a "good old boys club." And it is.

I've seen this in a lot of industries, and well, in pretty much everything. One thing remains constant, and that's change. Favorite technologies come and go. Movie stars and darling musicians come and go. Politicians and sound-bytes come and go. Countries and whole empires come and go.

Wow, that was too contemplative for a Monday. Silly me!
Re: The Oscars and Grammys [message #91363 is a reply to message #91362] Mon, 20 January 2020 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Not at all. Your perspectives are always very detailed and nuanced. And grounded with great reasoning. As far as things always changing, never static. That's the nature of the whole dang universe. Illustrated by this nice PBS series about the planets of our humble little solar system. It's been changing ever since it's inception. And will continue so even after old sol itself gives up the ghost, rendering our planet uninhabitable. The time line being a bit more drawn out than our petty little machinations. Oscars included.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/series/planets/
Re: The Oscars and Grammys [message #91366 is a reply to message #91362] Tue, 21 January 2020 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I think attention spans have changed dramatically over the years, and those awards ceremonies drag on and on. No one wants to hear all those dull acceptance speeches.

Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 20 January 2020 17:03
I've seen this in a lot of industries, and well, in pretty much everything. One thing remains constant, and that's change. Favorite technologies come and go. Movie stars and darling musicians come and go. Politicians and sound-bytes come and go. Countries and whole empires come and go.

The one thing that remains the same is that wealth is important no matter what.
Re: The Oscars and Grammys [message #91371 is a reply to message #91366] Wed, 22 January 2020 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
Tue, 21 January 2020 15:57
Leot55

The one thing that remains the same is that wealth is important no matter what.
I hope that someday with better economic realizations and political foundations, that the mere collection of wealth and it's influence will not sway the consensus that the greater percentage without that means have to take as just the way it is. We got a long ways to go with the capitalist system we use now. It can be made much more fair for everyone.
Re: The Oscars and Grammys [message #91375 is a reply to message #91345] Sat, 25 January 2020 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I agree with Wayne about the exclusivity of the award mechanism being a hindrance in some instances. Industry newcomers then end up being caught between a rock and a hard place when all they are doing is working for its good!
Re: The Oscars and Grammys [message #91380 is a reply to message #91345] Sat, 25 January 2020 22:43 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Capitalism is one thing, but I think the reason for exclusivity isn't just thanks to that. It is just sad to see these prestigious awards get dragged down by the mindset of the committee behind them; after all, at some point, most artists still dream of hearing their names called for winning a trophy.
Previous Topic: The New Joker Movie
Next Topic: The Rolling Stones: Ole' Ole' Ole'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:08:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout