Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » cascodes
cascodes [message #9109] Mon, 25 July 2005 18:44 Go to next message
Thrint is currently offline  Thrint
Baron
From a few cascode-able valves like 6BQ7 and 6DJ8, the schematic shows a pair of triodes stacked on top of each other and the upper grids attached to a voltage divider reference.

The composite valve behaves like a pentode. So what happens if you sub the top triode for a pentode? Use the same voltage divider for the control grid, dropping R and bypass to its cathode for g2 and what does it do now?

How to model this composite? I know how to gneerate the composite's plate curves for any pair of triodes, but the triode/pentode combo looks a bit more complex...
thanks,
Douglas

Penscodes? [message #9112 is a reply to message #9109] Tue, 26 July 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Altough I didn`t try it, IMO - pentode can be implemented (little problem with g2 voltage, but some people use pentode for "upper" tube in mu-follower, or like active load). But, IME - gain of pentode depends very little of "upper" tube. A~gm1*Rl, where gm1 is gm of the "lower" tube.
Composite model for "penscode" - I have no idea, maybe SPICE it first and see what PC says...

Re: Penscodes? [message #9115 is a reply to message #9112] Tue, 26 July 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Little correction, above sentence is:
IME - gain of cascode depends very little of "upper" tube.

BTW - Doug, besides "penscode" - do you work on something?

Re: Penscodes? [message #9135 is a reply to message #9115] Sun, 31 July 2005 17:26 Go to previous message
Thrint is currently offline  Thrint
Baron
Hey-Hey!!!,
I have a triode on the bottom, and have installed a pentode on top. Actually, I just turned the upper triode back into a pentode with a dropping R to its g2, and a cap between g2 and cathode.

I have a feeling I have turned the composite circuit into somthing with good AC impedance, or horizontal plate lines. Even better than the traditional triode-on-a-triode cascode.

The upper element of the cascode does do one important thing, it determines where the horizontal, pentode-ish plate characteristics start, relative to the Ec2 voltage. I suspect that the pentode offers a lower voltage start, and more horizontal when they happen, set of plate characteristics.

And I have a day job which gets in the way of serious experimentation.
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: "Tube Books"
Next Topic: Finally, SET Amps That Will Rock The House
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:24:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers