Home » Audio » General » Satellites
Satellites [message #91046] Tue, 08 October 2019 21:09 Go to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Does anyone know much about satellites and how they make satellite radio work?

I was just wondering because there doesn't seem to be much difference between the quality of sound of the music from traditional radio and satellite radio.
Re: Satellites [message #91066 is a reply to message #91046] Fri, 11 October 2019 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
Taking a wild guess on this one. Radio waves are transmitted from a studio to an orbiting satellite. That signal get bounced off and comes back down to one or more antennae here on earth.

Aside from that guess, I have no idea.
Re: Satellites [message #91073 is a reply to message #91046] Sun, 13 October 2019 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick69 is currently offline  Patrick69
Baron
Interesting. I haven't ever thought about it either. I don't notice any difference in the quality of the sound either. I listen to both and never really thought about it.
Re: Satellites [message #91074 is a reply to message #91073] Sun, 13 October 2019 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The satellites receive the signal from a ground station and re-transmit it back toward the ground. The power is not huge, but enough for the receivers to pick up. Sensitivity of receivers has gone up by an enormous amount in the past ten or so years. What used to require a dish (for radio) now is done with something the size of an ice cube. The quality of sound in satellite systems like XM and Siris is about equal to a mid level MP3 with a sample rate of about 192. It is not hi-rez, but certainly is sufficient for most uses.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Satellites [message #91912 is a reply to message #91046] Tue, 19 May 2020 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Sounds like the outer space equivalent of radio and cell phone towers. Being as high up as satellites are, the signals can go worldwide instead of just staying in a region.
Re: Satellites [message #92618 is a reply to message #91912] Sun, 15 November 2020 20:15 Go to previous message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Silver wrote on Tue, 19 May 2020 13:34
Being as high up as satellites are, the signals can go worldwide instead of just staying in a region.
That was the original intent in making that technology I would think. It wasn't so much about making clearer sound, more about transmitting the sounds farther.
Previous Topic: An Old School Sync
Next Topic: Dictaphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:36:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout