Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon
Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon [message #90946] Thu, 26 September 2019 22:15 Go to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
This according to the RIAA and reported in Rolling Stone.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/vinyl-cds-revenue-growth-riaa-880959/amp/?espv=1

I was walking through the electronics section of one of my local Wally World's a few weeks ago, and lo and behold there was a small section with vinyl records.

I would love it if this trend continues.

Re: Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon [message #90982 is a reply to message #90946] Mon, 30 September 2019 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Vinyl lovers are after the warmth that comes through in analog format. If you want the full experience, vinyl is unique. It also has nostalgic appeal. Digital music lovers are after convenient and affordable music with a wide range of choices that can be bought song by song. CDs are just kind of there and I know it always annoyed me that I had to get the whole album when I might only like three of the songs.
Re: Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon [message #91130 is a reply to message #90946] Sun, 10 November 2019 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I agree, and "warmth" is a good way to describe the sound.

Owning albums affords the owner the opportunity to learn more about the artist and all the songs he or she recorded in a certain time frame. You don't get that by downloading one song at a time.

Re: Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon [message #91133 is a reply to message #91130] Sun, 10 November 2019 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A lot of people with turntables have really nice systems. They sometimes have multiple copies of their albums in multiple formats. I do this, and I know lots of other people that do too.

I have vinyl albums that I play at special times. I also maintain a collection of Bluray music that is very high-quality too. Some people favor high-res lossless digital formats like FLAC.

I also have a cassette copy of most of my favorite albums that I play in my older classic cars. And I have a CD for casual listening or in one of my more modern cars. I also have a USB flash drive with a ton of albums on it, mostly for convenience and for cars that have no CD player.

Used to be I had lots of music on reel-to-reel tapes too, and I developed an interface to a microcomputer I had. My computer kept track of the music and indexes of each song, so I could create playlists for the computer to fast-forward or rewind to any track. But I've stopped doing that 'cause there are better ways of creating playlists now.

So I find that there are good uses for most music formats, some that favor quality and some that favor convenience. Some are a little of both.
Re: Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon [message #91149 is a reply to message #91133] Wed, 13 November 2019 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
That^

This is why this is a good time to be alive. The choices we have in how we want to play and listen to music is vast. It's pretty impressive when you think about it.
Re: Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon [message #91153 is a reply to message #91149] Wed, 13 November 2019 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, horrors.. Shocked ..did you stop using the Pioneer RR? When I wanted one I could not find one at any reasonable price. Thus the Akai I have and used at the LSAF. For vinyl sales there are numerous sources now. Even Amazon handles it. I personally like ZIA Record Exchange. 1000s of new and used LPs. They also have 1000s of CD and DVDs.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon [message #91161 is a reply to message #91153] Thu, 14 November 2019 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's the playlist feature that I've stopped using. I developed that in the 1970s, inspired by the 9-track NRZI tape drives used in the computer industry. The Pioneer RT-909 has a digital tape counter, and I used that as an interface to a homebrew 6502-based microcomputer I had back then. I actually tapped into the index pulses that the tape deck's counter read. And the RT-909 controls are electric switches, so I connected relays across each one, and drove the relay with a 2N2222 connected to a parallel port. Each bit could be individually toggled via bitmask to "press" the play, record, fast-forward or rewind buttons. That interface is still there, but I don't use it anymore.
Re: Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon [message #91188 is a reply to message #91153] Sun, 17 November 2019 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I remember Zia from the 90's. I'm glad they're still alive even though I haven't stepped foot in one in at least a decade.

They might be one reason there is a revival of vinyl. The kept the pulse going when it was near death.
Re: Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon [message #91192 is a reply to message #91188] Mon, 18 November 2019 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I look at this vinyl trend ruefully. As I think it will eventually fade. It is a rather archaic anomaly that by rights should be in the rear view mirror. But, so many of us boomers are still around that never left it or have re-immersed themselves to keep the wave going. The kids that are trying it I don't think will keep it viable for the higher end to sustain after us elders fade. But, it's a curious and satisfying trend. It's amazing for me how good it can sound with some careful implementation with equipment that does not have to be all that expensive. A tribute to the engineering of the heyday.
Re: Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon [message #91194 is a reply to message #90946] Mon, 18 November 2019 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Technology goes through it's ups and downs. Vinyl was supposed to be dead but 30 years after CD's showed up there was a renewed interest.

Lots of technology goes through the same cycle: good for while, then it gets replaced by newer technology, then slowly it works it's way back into being relevant again. It never reaches it's old peaks but still can do OK decades after being declared dead.

Examples include horn speakers and tube amps. Both thrown to the curb by the mainstream and suddenly became relevant again.

There's evidently a small group of photographers who rediscovered making prints in a darkroom. I'd expect film to have a minor rise again in 10 or 20 years, too. It's just the way tech seems to mature.
Previous Topic: USB compatible turntable
Next Topic: Music Server Software
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:24:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout