Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Where do you look for ideas?
Re: Where do you look for ideas? [message #90918 is a reply to message #90915] Tue, 24 September 2019 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I love cars and have built up a few, I really loved my Hurst/AMC 1969 Javelin SST. Much modified 343, Borg Warner t-10, special intake and exhaust, in factory "Big Bad Orange". Nothing on it that didn't make it go or stop. The police always followed me around, but never got me. Ran the mid-high 12s. I do admit that some of the work was done by the performance section of the dealer as they ran it for a while. I just made it a bit better. Hearing the un-silenced carb sucking air was always a thrill. You could drop silver dollars through the bores. But that digresses. I only diy something I can't buy or I can do better at a reasonable cost. Thus all my amp designs. I wanted great sound, but didn't want to mortgage the house to get it. Diy is not for the easily discouraged though. Stuff often won't do what is wanted on the first try. But you can use it as a learning tool. Try something and see what happens. Regroup and modify if it is not as desired. And as a word of caution with respect to audio diy on the web.....don't put too much stock in something that is supposed to be the greatest thing on the earth and be equally wary of negative comments on projects. (I get a few of each and neither is usually on target). Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Where do you look for ideas? [message #90920 is a reply to message #90918] Wed, 25 September 2019 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Dude, that's cool! I didn't know you were a car guy too! I'll bet your AMC was a nice ride. I love cars like that 'cause they aren't the "usual thing."
Re: Where do you look for ideas? [message #90922 is a reply to message #90920] Wed, 25 September 2019 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, I do a few things other than electronics. I had other vehicles (Camaro, Charger, Mustang,Triumphs) but this was the favorite. The picture is not the best, but does show the AMC in its street setup. /forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2446&private=0
  • Attachment: MYcar1969.jpg
    (Size: 707.08KB, Downloaded 557 times)

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Where do you look for ideas? [message #90925 is a reply to message #90922] Wed, 25 September 2019 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's super groovy cool!

I have had lots of hotrods over the years. Back in the 1970s and early 1980s, I ran hotrod Wankles. Mazda RX-2 cars with rotary engines and Holley carburetors. Street porting and headers. Those are damn fast. I went through a Porsche phase too, and had a 928. Was going to get a 944 Turbo but decided to go with an American muscle car instead. Different breed, to be sure, but I just wanted to go in that direction. I already had a 1983 Olds Cutlass that was in good shape as my (backup) second car but decided to make it my toy instead of the Porsche and get another second car. So I built a big block Olds with aluminum heads and a roller cam, and put a Ford Nine-Inch rear end under the back. That's been my daily driver since 1993.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2448&private=0
1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Re: Where do you look for ideas? [message #90926 is a reply to message #89989] Wed, 25 September 2019 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
More "car guys " on here than I realized!

Bruce- that's a nice AMC!, I remember those well.
Wayne- that's a nice "Cutlass"!
Awesome that its your DD! Looks like you (should) have some hardware under that coat lol.

An old friend of mine had a cutlass like that built up with a big block.
He claimed 1/4m in the high 10's lol.
He didn't have the 9" though, and I recall he went through some rears!

On a sad note (DIY can be dangerous!), the poor fella died a couple years back of electrocution, pruning some tree limbs back near power lines with those aluminum chain saw extension poles (7000V).
~RIP Sean Loprinzi~.

I owned a couple of the old early Bronco's (a 69' and a 76') which also had the venerable "ford 9" rear".
Could beat them to hell off road, and know the rear axle wouldn't give even with oversize tires lol.

That third bearing in front of the pinion does the trick! Even the 1-2-ton Dana's (Dana 60-70-80) don't have them!
Re: Where do you look for ideas? [message #90931 is a reply to message #90926] Wed, 25 September 2019 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I grew up with dad carting me around in a similar Cutlass. I don't think he liked it very much though.

Johnny, I'm sorry to hear that about your friend. I'll remember that cautionary tale the next time I'm tempted to take a shortcut instead of taking the appropriate safety measures.

Re: Where do you look for ideas? [message #90933 is a reply to message #90931] Wed, 25 September 2019 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, The AMC was my daily driver as well...unfortunately my first wife got it as part of the split. A costly deal, but in the end worth it. It ran quite well for a mid block AMC with 3050 pounds to push around. Gearing was not the best and was on my change list before it went away. A 2.21 first into a 3.15 rear does not move off the line well, but after about 30MPH all #$@!% breaks loose. Folks with plain jane machines would take me to 30, but then it would be all over. Next stop is 120. 1st was good to 65 mph. Lots of fun....

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Where do you look for ideas? [message #91019 is a reply to message #89989] Thu, 03 October 2019 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick69 is currently offline  Patrick69
Baron
What an interesting topic. I'm pretty new to DIY but I would love to learn more. My wife is a huge Pinterest fan and she has been showing me things. I really don't know where else to look.
Re: Where do you look for ideas? [message #91163 is a reply to message #91019] Thu, 14 November 2019 11:37 Go to previous message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Seeing how the radio and corresponding electrical system in my car no longer works, and this has turned into a car enthusiasm topic, I'll just say this: I'll get the testing tools I need, troubleshoot the problem and DIY this issue myself.

I might do before and after pics as well.
Previous Topic: DIY audio gear vs. visual gear
Next Topic: Projects for fun vs. saving money
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:15:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout