Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » bass preamp and 6418 pentode
bass preamp and 6418 pentode [message #9088] Wed, 20 July 2005 23:10 Go to next message
basstub is currently offline  basstub
Esquire
Hi All
While Ive been in Electronics for quite some time, its not as long as valves Sad ie I missed that period of electronics.
So to fix this and also to build a bass guitar valve preamp. Id like to get some warm fuzz 2nd harmonic and compression distortion. I started looking around.
I came across two kits available to me here. I figured best start with someone elses ideas b4 branching out on my own.
http://oatleyelectronics.com/kits/Notes/k188a.jpg
This one is using a very cheap low voltage Pentode type tube called a 6418
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/127/6/6418.pdf
However either they havent got it right or Im not learning/understanding as much as Id hoped.
I couldnt find too many sites that specificaly explained this type of pentode.
ie Pentodes i found seemed to have other connections available.Cathode for eg.
Anyway I came to the conclusion..and please help here.
The Pentode isnt really much good for preamp as its better suited to driver stage. The circuit they provided seems more of an intermeadiate stage?
I was getting a measly gain of only 2.5 from their circuit.
I pretty much had to put 2vpp into the sucker to get my soft clipping effect that i wanted (@ an output of 5v)
Not too many guitars give 2vpp out Sad

So where to from here.
I can easily put an attenuator on the output to drop it back to line levels (which is what my SS amp wants to see)
I guess I can put a SS opamp type pre-preamp Smile to get the guitar level up to the 2v needed to start to drive this tube into overload.

OR
am i really off the rails here?
can we tweak the pentode circuit a bit better?

I do have a 12AX7 circuit that Im also playing with. Its much more noted on the net for this use. It is bigger, and more complicated to power etc so I would like to pursue the above 6418 a little more b4 shifting to the AX.

Help much appreciated

Re: bass preamp and 6418 pentode [message #9091 is a reply to message #9088] Thu, 21 July 2005 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
You are useing the "a"conection right?
try reduceing r4 to reduce the bias or lowering the b+(36v)

Re: bass preamp and 6418 pentode [message #9093 is a reply to message #9091] Thu, 21 July 2005 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks 42.
Yes im using the A connection. and I was begining to think that the pin 3 or 5 is the cathode. It somehow interlinked with the filament?
I wasnt sure which one R4 or R3 to play with but will have a play in this area.
Since my post I have been playing with a standard 12AX7 and this has lead me to understanding a lot more about how the tubes work.
the 6418 is a weird thing and no doubt not the best place to begin the newbie curve

Re: bass preamp and 6418 pentode [message #9094 is a reply to message #9093] Thu, 21 July 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
>I was begining to think that the pin 3 or 5 is the cathode.

Yes they are, the heater and cathode are one and the same. Known as "Directly heated". Most offen seen in triodes,
but here you go.

The (I think #5) was the side connected to ground, that is the one to play with. Maybe connect a big 500K or more, pot across it and see what happens.

Unlike most of us over here, you are trying to make your amp sound "worse" but hey...

Poke around the web, there are a lot of guitar guys out there, looking for the same thing you are...Good luck...John

Re: bass preamp and 6418 pentode [message #9096 is a reply to message #9094] Thu, 21 July 2005 23:48 Go to previous message
Esquire
Im pretty sure I have to change both resistors. If I add 100r to the pin 3 then i must subtract 100 from the other side. This is because any change effects the filament current. In order to maintain the voltage across the filament @ 1.2v (so it still produces electrons)I must move both. As it is, pin 3 is at around 1v. By changing both resistors I may be able to move this point around but as yet Im not sure what efect that will have.
the 6418 really isnt a good one to play with:)
we learn
thanks

Previous Topic: Zout
Next Topic: Fixed/cathode bias and AC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 08:41:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers