Home » Audio » Home Theater » Projector heats up and turns off
Projector heats up and turns off [message #90834] Thu, 05 September 2019 14:02 Go to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I haven't had the projector that long, so I'm surprised it's having problems. I do use it a lot though. I've made sure there is room around the projector for airflow and I've tried the usual fixes such as cleaning out the dust with a can of air. Maybe I need a dedicated cooling fan, but I'd like to avoid that if possible because they're so loud. Any other fixes I should try?
Re: Projector heats up and turns off [message #90849 is a reply to message #90834] Sun, 08 September 2019 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Can you give me a little more detail. Does it connect with Wi-Fi, are you streaming movies when this happens? Is it mostly meant for data and work presentations? Is it a smart projector?
Re: Projector heats up and turns off [message #90856 is a reply to message #90849] Fri, 13 September 2019 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
It's one of the cheaper Epson models, but it's definitely meant for watching shows at home rather than just displaying a simple presentation at work. Of course, I've already looked on their support website for troubleshooting info. I have plenty of space to run my projector and air can circulate around it. The machine is free of debris. I've not been running it for hours and hours at a time.
Re: Projector heats up and turns off [message #90860 is a reply to message #90856] Sat, 14 September 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If it's under warranty still, take it back. It's defective. Do you read online problems with this model like your experiencing?
Re: Projector heats up and turns off [message #90866 is a reply to message #90860] Sun, 15 September 2019 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Rusty wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 09:07
If it's under warranty still, take it back. It's defective. Do you read online problems with this model like your experiencing?
Does yours not overheat then? Do you mind telling me what brand it is? I've never had one that didn't get hot, but it's been a while since I bought one too. Maybe I need to upgrade.
Re: Projector heats up and turns off [message #90869 is a reply to message #90866] Sun, 15 September 2019 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I'd take it back if you're within the store's return date or I'd see if you can use the warranty to alleviate the problem. If neither of those are options, it might just need the heat sink repaired which shouldn't be too difficult. I've fixed them before with pennies. Another option is to take one of those cooling mats like dogs and cats use and rest the device on that when you're going to be playing it for a long time.
Re: Projector heats up and turns off [message #90870 is a reply to message #90866] Mon, 16 September 2019 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
Does yours not overheat then? Do you mind telling me what brand it is?
I've never owned such a devise. But if it's not working properly as you described. Your using it, not abusing it, and it's under warranty. Why not take it back.
Re: Projector heats up and turns off [message #91010 is a reply to message #90870] Wed, 02 October 2019 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yeah, I took it back Rusty. I was hesitant because I didn't feel like arguing with Best Buy and the one near me isn't that open to taking things back and they almost always charge a restocking fee even if the device genuinely fails. On top of that, they make you wait for ages. Or at least that's how it used to go. I went yesterday to take the projector back and the store had a whole different crew that I've not seen before and they were friendlier and more helpful than the ones who used to run the department. I wasn't charged a restocking fee either.
Re: Projector heats up and turns off [message #91014 is a reply to message #91010] Thu, 03 October 2019 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wow, good news eh? That store must have gotten a lot of complaints for their poor customer service. Hope you can find something that works right, and for a long time.
Re: Projector heats up and turns off [message #92407 is a reply to message #91014] Fri, 09 October 2020 20:32 Go to previous message
Master
I found a great projector finally. I might do a review on it later. I learned a lot from you guys after that disaster. I haven't bought an Epson model since then, but they seem to make other users happy.
Previous Topic: Suspended projectors
Next Topic: Setting up a hybrid space
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:16:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout