Home » Audio » Radio » Replacing factory radio
Replacing factory radio [message #90759] Fri, 09 August 2019 15:28 Go to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
To be honest, the audio system isn't bad in my Explorer, but I scrapped up the head unit pretty drastically while helping a friend move. I've tried to smooth things out and even tried to ignore it, but it's time for it go. So, since I'm taking things apart anyway, I might as well make some audio upgrades. I'm big on DIY in general, but I've never worked on a car audio system before. Just how hard is it? I like the JL Audio Stealthbox subwoofer and I know it fits, but it doesn't work with the SUV's cargo security shade accessory. Do I have other options? I'm not finding much.
Re: Replacing factory radio [message #90778 is a reply to message #90759] Tue, 13 August 2019 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Maybe the people over at Crutchfield could help. Thought they specialized in car audio solutions.
Re: Replacing factory radio [message #90800 is a reply to message #90778] Sun, 25 August 2019 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I had checked them out, but my options look pretty bleak. I hoped someone here might know of another workaround. It's probably just how my car is made though. I might just have to live with the cosmetic defect.
Re: Replacing factory radio [message #90802 is a reply to message #90800] Mon, 26 August 2019 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just curious, what was it that was scrapped up, the radio unit or the surrounding console too. It's hard to imagine there isn't a new head unit that wouldn't fit into your vehicle.
Re: Replacing factory radio [message #90813 is a reply to message #90802] Tue, 03 September 2019 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
If the issue is purely cosmetic can't you just skin it? I'd find a vinyl decal that will cover the imperfections or I'd go to the shop. From what I've read that car isn't easy to take apart and the audio system is pretty good as it is.
Re: Replacing factory radio [message #90848 is a reply to message #90802] Sun, 08 September 2019 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Rusty wrote on Mon, 26 August 2019 09:02
Just curious, what was it that was scrapped up, the radio unit or the surrounding console too. It's hard to imagine there isn't a new head unit that wouldn't fit into your vehicle.
Yep, the head unit is easily replaceable and I figured I could upgrade my subwoofers and tweeters while I was at it. In the end I took it to the shop. According to Crutchfield it was going to be an onerous DIY project and I was afraid I'd mess up my backup cam and nav system.
Re: Replacing factory radio [message #92450 is a reply to message #90759] Mon, 19 October 2020 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
This is something I'll be diving into soon. The system in one of my cars just stopped working a few months ago and I haven't even had the time to diagnose.
Re: Replacing factory radio [message #92675 is a reply to message #90759] Thu, 26 November 2020 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
I am glad you got it done professionally. Things before were so much easier (before backup cameras, GPS systems and other things in vehicles). I would not dare to mess with my stereo/radio in my new vehicle.
Re: Replacing factory radio [message #92727 is a reply to message #92675] Wed, 02 December 2020 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
That's the one drawback to evolving technology in my opinion.....you can't fix things yourself anymore. Not just car audio either. Things have gotten too complicated.
Re: Replacing factory radio [message #93765 is a reply to message #90759] Thu, 13 May 2021 19:02 Go to previous message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
Isn't it just a matter of following the wires? LOL

Doing something like this is above my pay grade, I'm afraid.

If it happens to me, I'll just put a Bluetooth speaker in my car. Problem solved. Very Happy
Previous Topic: A Certain Kind Of Juxtaposition
Next Topic: Which kind of radio do you listen to most?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:24:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio