Home » Audio » General » Tapping The Microphone
Tapping The Microphone [message #90607] Tue, 02 July 2019 03:44 Go to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
I've heard that tapping the microphone head shouldn't be done because it might damage the microphone. I don't know if this true or just a myth. If it is true, then how is the microphone get damaged with tapping it?
Re: Tapping The Microphone [message #90611 is a reply to message #90607] Tue, 02 July 2019 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
When I first read your thread I wondered why you were putting tape on your mic head and whether it was some sort of performance trick that I didn't know about. Laughing

I can't tell you for sure whether it's true or not, but tapping on the microphone head could damage the thin, delicate diaphragm inside the mic. If it's tapped firmly, especially more than once, it can also create an audio spike which could cause damage as well. In all of my years of teaching children music and helping with the church programs I've seen many a kid and adult do that very thing and no microphones have been ruined. Of course, I tell them not to tap on it, but it seems like an ingrained habit that tapping is how you test the mic. It's not a good way to test the microphone whether it causes damage or not.
Re: Tapping The Microphone [message #90641 is a reply to message #90611] Thu, 04 July 2019 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
Madison wrote on Tue, 02 July 2019 07:40
It's not a good way to test the microphone whether it causes damage or not.
You got this right, Madison. It is irritating to hear that sound. Why can't people just test it with their voice by saying the famous phrase: "Testing mike, one, two, three."?
Re: Tapping The Microphone [message #90643 is a reply to message #90611] Thu, 04 July 2019 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hummm. Considering that microphones are designed to handle SPLs in the 100+db range I suspect that most are really quite durable. Some for specialized applications might not be that sturdy but I suspect that any you are likely to encounter are not going to be harmed by tapping. Equally unless it is extreme and the gain is set really high I don't think it likely to harm anything else in the system. I have never seen or heard of one being damaged. When you think about it microphones are everywhere...phones, DJs, home devices of all sorts...even refrigerators. They take a lot of abuse and keep on working.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Tapping The Microphone [message #90659 is a reply to message #90607] Tue, 09 July 2019 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
You got a good point, gofar. We can place this one into the myth section. Common folks may just be irritated by the loud sound the microphone makes when someone taps on the microphone, especially when the speaker makes feedback.
Re: Tapping The Microphone [message #90957 is a reply to message #90607] Sat, 28 September 2019 09:45 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Gofar has a good point. Besides, when you tap the microphone you're not tapping the device itself, but rather the cover. It has to be done though if you need to check the volume it is going to be giving out.
Previous Topic: Removing Background Noise
Next Topic: What I have always worried about
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:44:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout