Home » Audio » General » Your most disappointing buy?
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90629 is a reply to message #90627] Wed, 03 July 2019 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, An Empire 598 and a diy ex Dual 701 with custom plinth, arm power supply.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2391&private=0
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2392&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90631 is a reply to message #90629] Wed, 03 July 2019 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Cool looking tables. That Empire especially. I bought one off of ebay once only to send it back in the pieces it arrived tragically. Is that an Origin modified Rega arm? I see you also have some of those vibration control pads used for appliances and such. But found repackaged and sold accordingly as audiophile grade, produced in the lab, with secret proprietary materials taking years to develop. Bet you bought a carton of them for less than what the audio grifter's ask for a couple.
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90635 is a reply to message #90631] Wed, 03 July 2019 15:23 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes it is an Origin Live Arm. They use parts form the Rega factory and do their magic on them. The vibration pads were about 22 cents each so I bought about 40 of them. I don't know if they do any good or not, but then they probably don't do any harm either. The Empire and DIY have adjustable feet inside that I added. It makes it a lot easier to get them level. I actually have the OEM Empire cover and even the user manual that came with it. Since the photo I have swapped the cartridge for a Grado Sonata II. A good match for the arm tracking at 1.5 gm. The DIY one has a Jelco 370H arm and I swap cartridges regularly. Usually it has a Dynavector Ruby Karat 23MR-RS. An AT33PTG II is next in line. BTW it was a challenge to get the OL arm on the Empire. The OEM arm is about 8.5 inches and the OL 9.5. A bit of metal work was needed on both the deck and underside. It came to me without the OEM arm.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Acoustics In New Construction
Next Topic: Removing Background Noise
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:46:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers