Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Why the sudden push towards streaming movies and music?
Why the sudden push towards streaming movies and music? [message #90595] Mon, 01 July 2019 09:23 Go to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
Why is there this sudden push towards streaming movies and music? I'm paying the fee for Netflix, why can't I download as many movies as I want, then if I don't renew the next month, they can stop my account from accessing those movies. Streaming music doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. Doesn't it hinder the artists' creativity when they're trying to hit certain things to satisfy an algorithm? Every song within the different genres sound eerily similar now. I've tried avoiding the streaming business model as much as possible, but it keeps getting tougher. My grandkids act like it's perfectly normal.
Re: Why the sudden push towards streaming movies and music? [message #90601 is a reply to message #90595] Mon, 01 July 2019 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
They're starting to do that with gaming too. Just keep everything in the cloud instead of using downloads and disc drives. My guess is that it has to do with dissuading piracy. I'm not sure though.
Re: Why the sudden push towards streaming movies and music? [message #90613 is a reply to message #90601] Tue, 02 July 2019 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think it's all about control of profit. The middleman chain is severed. Which doesn't translate into end user savings. You have to subscribe to their marketing platform. And, if a production is popular they can further profit by licensing their property in physical form. And why does popular music sound all the same? This might help explain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII
I'm with you musicluvr, the streaming experience is lost on me.
Re: Why the sudden push towards streaming movies and music? [message #90614 is a reply to message #90613] Tue, 02 July 2019 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I'm not a die-hard fan of streaming, but one benefit to streaming movies and television is that you can watch the content anywhere on any compatible device. If you're at your parents house and The Handmaid's Taleis about to come on but they don't have Hulu, that's okay because you can watch it on your laptop, tablet, wherever on whatever. Some people like being able to view content on a portable device instead of being tied down to a TV and electrical outlet. Plus, streaming makes it easier to get rid of cable. Though lately there have been so many mergers that you're still getting bad customer service and hiked up fees. Again, it isn't that I'm a big fan of streaming, I'm just explaining the other side.

I don't buy that the push to streaming is meant to deter piracy. They could use DRM if that was the goal and Netflix implicitly allows people to share their account/password without consequences.
Re: Why the sudden push towards streaming movies and music? [message #90793 is a reply to message #90614] Thu, 15 August 2019 22:20 Go to previous message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I think it's boils down to money. Corporations watched Netflix from infancy till today. They saw it become popular and so they copycatted their business model.
Previous Topic: Yes - The Royal Affair
Next Topic: At the movies July and August
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:04:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout