Home » Audio » Speaker » Speakers that look like art
Speakers that look like art [message #90549] Fri, 28 June 2019 19:08 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master

Speakers sure have come a long way since I got my first set of mammoth floor speakers by Zenith. They sounded good, but they were these big hulking black boxes that were just kind of there. But now they make speakers that look like art. Yes, I'm just realizing this. I'm not a fussy guy and didn't know speakers could look this good.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2379&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2380&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2381&private=0
Re: Speakers that look like art [message #90559 is a reply to message #90549] Sat, 29 June 2019 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Guess I'm one of those guy's that think a big ole horn loudspeaker is a work of art. Too look at and hear. Some of these designer oriented speakers are aesthetically interesting, but I'd be skeptical for they being high performance sound. That one with the whizzer cone speakers. Boy, I just can't understand why this technology is so popular. I remember whizzer cones from cheap n cheesy auto speakers. I've read these things literally screech at you. But I see from the Urban Fidelity web site, they're marketed as a hipster statement. So, yeah, I get it now.
Re: Speakers that look like art [message #90583 is a reply to message #90559] Sun, 30 June 2019 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2387&private=0

Horn speakers can be gussied up too apparently. I had no idea things were getting so fancy. My Zenith speakers were just huge blocks. I don't think aesthetics were factored in much back then or maybe I just didn't know any better. Some of the arty speakers look DIYable, but I'm not skilled enough to tackle something like that.

Pi Speakers look good. Some of Salk's stuff looks good. Just about any decent speaker looks better than what we used to have to choose from. Craftsmanship and aesthetics seem to matter more now.

Re: Speakers that look like art [message #90585 is a reply to message #90583] Sun, 30 June 2019 22:05 Go to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2388&private=0
Leot55, big black blocks are still being made and they usually rate pretty high among audio reviewers. SVS Prime Tower speakers in particular are typically well-liked by most their owners, no beauty required.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2389&private=0
Personally, I dig this speaker. It's elegant and interesting. Unfortunately, it's also pricey.
Previous Topic: Bose.
Next Topic: Body Resonance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:36:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout