Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Necessary skills for a would-be DJ
Necessary skills for a would-be DJ [message #90290] Sun, 12 May 2019 02:23 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Not everyone has the innate ability to correctly change the sequence of tracks but there are also those who excel at it. Do you think that it is easy to be a DJ without the natural ability or can anyone learn this?

Music technology gains pace so quickly and it is often necessary to be dynamic. I guess the Virtual DJ software is where many people start from!
Re: Necessary skills for a would-be DJ [message #90339 is a reply to message #90290] Thu, 16 May 2019 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Much as this is a subjective topic, I believe that the possession of the natural ability is a major contributor to a would-be DJ excelling in this art. On the other hand, there are many competent DJs who started out without necessarily having the raw talent. I think that sometimes, having an interest and pursuing a passion determines how far anyone can go.
Re: Necessary skills for a would-be DJ [message #90427 is a reply to message #90339] Thu, 13 June 2019 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
I think it depends on what types of parties and events they work in. Someone who DJs at wedding receptions needs to be able to MC and direct the crowd and show attention to detail. Someone who DJs at a club needs to be able to read the crowd and interact with the people to create enthusiasm. I bet club DJs have to be flexible about switching thing up if the crowd isn't pumped.
Re: Necessary skills for a would-be DJ [message #90532 is a reply to message #90290] Wed, 26 June 2019 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Echo is currently offline  Echo
Chancellor
Having a natural talent is definitely a big plus, but it it not entirely necessary. I think DJ skills can be learned by anyone who is passionate about it.
Re: Necessary skills for a would-be DJ [message #90537 is a reply to message #90532] Wed, 26 June 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Definitely, bobbing up and down to the music, is a requirement. And tattoo's, lots of tattoo's is a plus.
Re: Necessary skills for a would-be DJ [message #90538 is a reply to message #90537] Wed, 26 June 2019 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

https://audioroundtable.com/images/Laughing_Felix.gif
Re: Necessary skills for a would-be DJ [message #90547 is a reply to message #90537] Thu, 27 June 2019 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
Rusty wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 10:24
Definitely, bobbing up and down to the music, is a requirement. And tattoo's, lots of tattoo's is a plus.
Haha! That's a good one.

I would like to add that another requirement is that the person should still be able to know what he or she is doing even when he or she is already drunk. Cool
Re: Necessary skills for a would-be DJ [message #90556 is a reply to message #90537] Sat, 29 June 2019 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Rusty wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 10:24
For millennials? You forgot the beard bro. That's one of the main requirements for the guys at least. Tattoos and a beard. Without either one, you're out.
Re: Necessary skills for a would-be DJ [message #90563 is a reply to message #90556] Sat, 29 June 2019 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Oh yeahhh. A Taliban beard. Maybe a hair bun on the back side. Or a high and tight topside. And ever more tatt's and piercings. One of those ear lobe thingies. Then some skinny jeans to set it all off. What ever vulgar and vain disfigurement and permanent marking to make your golden years truly a freak show.
Re: Necessary skills for a would-be DJ [message #90565 is a reply to message #90563] Sat, 29 June 2019 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
@Rusty, it's a lumberjack beard. Not Taliban, but lumberjack. It's really like the 90s grunge band styling, but with tighter jeans. I guess I can't talk about today's fashions when the guys I grew up with wore their jeans sagging down with just a hint of their boxer shorts showing. Very sexy obviously.

DJing seems like it's becoming more popular. Do clubs not hire bands anymore? Every wedding I've been to recently has had a DJ instead of a band. Maybe bands just aren't cool anymore.
Previous Topic: Learning without a real life teacher
Next Topic: Harman's How to Listen
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:54:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout