Home » Audio » Home Theater » Grab 3D TV while you can or hold off?
Grab 3D TV while you can or hold off? [message #90522] Tue, 25 June 2019 14:45 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
It looks like 3D televisions are going the way of plasma televisions, blink and they'll all be gone. I know there's not a lot of new content coming out, but from what I've seen there are quite a few Blu-ray Discs that will hit the spot. I saw Avatar on a friend's 3D television and it was almost as good as being in an IMAX theater. Do you think it's a good time to grab a 3D television while they're still available or would it wiser to wait until something better comes along? Does anyone have one of these? Does the excitement wear off?
Re: Grab 3D TV while you can or hold off? [message #90524 is a reply to message #90522] Tue, 25 June 2019 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I haven't seen any for years now. But I haven't really looked. Guess I'll be looking for something though as the old lcd tv is behaving wonky again. Smart tv's, 3d tv's, 4-5-6g tv. What-ever. I don't care. I just want something that lasts for more than a month after the warranty is up.
Re: Grab 3D TV while you can or hold off? [message #90528 is a reply to message #90524] Tue, 25 June 2019 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Here we go again Rolling Eyes ...I have seen an article on 8K TVs. With virtually no programming,,,why bother? There is really not all that much on 4K and I haven't seen any 3D for a long time. Folks didn't like the goggles that it required. I believe I'll stick with my VISIO 1080P. Blue-Ray is finally becoming available for many movies though I find plenty that are not on it and probably never will be. I am all for quality video, but I think that many of the recent developments are more to boost sales than actually improve the quality.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Grab 3D TV while you can or hold off? [message #90554 is a reply to message #90528] Sat, 29 June 2019 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
I have one, but it's one of those things that's super exciting for a while, but then the novelty wears off and you realize it's kind of a hassle to wear those glasses. Plus, if you want to have friends over to watch something, you need glasses for them too. Programming never really took off, but there are tons of Blu-ray discs for it. I think Avatar is the best of these in terms of 3D immersion. If you compare everything to it, you'll likely be disappointed. I still watch my 3D TV sometimes and I do like it so I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying one or anything. Just have realistic expectations going into it.
Re: Grab 3D TV while you can or hold off? [message #90638 is a reply to message #90554] Wed, 03 July 2019 21:51 Go to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I had one of those. It's not that it's hard to find glasses and it's not that they're terribly uncomfortable, it's just not something you'd want to wear all the time and it didn't take long for the magic of 3D to wear off - at least for me. The cool thing about the Blu-rays is that they usually include a free download to the 2D version. If you're buying online, just be sure you buy the discs from the right region.
Previous Topic: Bright Room
Next Topic: Smart Home Theaters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:51:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout