Home » Audio » Home Theater » Calling a professional
Calling a professional [message #90327] Mon, 13 May 2019 13:20 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
You've spent a good sum of money on a system and followed all the necessary steps during installation but still feel like it doesn't sound good. Would you then call an expert? I would use the services of a professional if in the long run, I ended up getting value for money.
Re: Calling a professional [message #90329 is a reply to message #90327] Mon, 13 May 2019 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The problem is that most home theater installers aren't experts. They're usually somewhat technical, but mostly just enough to know basically what to connect and where. Some can do basic calibrations, like setting channel levels. But they're not usually engineers and most aren't particularly knowledgeable in acoustics.

So unless you're just having trouble doing a basic setup, you will want to do some research to find a firm that understands room acoustics.
Re: Calling a professional [message #90357 is a reply to message #90329] Mon, 20 May 2019 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
I agree with you Wayne and most times hiring the services of a firm will cost an arm and a leg. In most instances, I prefer to just search for anything I want on YouTube. There are plenty of tutorials that anyone keen on learning will find useful.
Re: Calling a professional [message #91178 is a reply to message #90327] Sun, 17 November 2019 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
In a case like this, I suppose a professional sound mixer in a recording studio could moonlight his services by getting the sound right in a home theater set-up.

Adjusting all the knobs to get the sound "just right" would be the extent of his work.
Re: Calling a professional [message #91199 is a reply to message #91178] Mon, 18 November 2019 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Miami wrote on Sun, 17 November 2019 12:00
In a case like this, I suppose a professional sound mixer in a recording studio could moonlight his services by getting the sound right in a home theater set-up.

Adjusting all the knobs to get the sound "just right" would be the extent of his work.
Can I print out a fake degree from Full Sail and get in on this side hustle? Laughing I have an ear for music, I know what sounds good to me and I know how to adjust the bass and treble. If I need more experience, I'll consult professor You Tube.

I kid, but that does sound like a good idea.
Re: Calling a professional [message #91664 is a reply to message #91199] Sun, 05 April 2020 03:26 Go to previous message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Kingfish wrote on Mon, 18 November 2019 20:41
Miami wrote on Sun, 17 November 2019 12:00

Can I print out a fake degree from Full Sail and get in on this side hustle? Laughing I have an ear for music, I know what sounds good to me and I know how to adjust the bass and treble. If I need more experience, I'll consult professor You Tube.

I kid, but that does sound like a good idea.
If you have an ear for music and fix one or two set-ups, referrals will have you overwhelmed with no one wanting to see your qualifications. I think anyone can be good at this by checking out a few YouTube tutorials.
Previous Topic: Power Surges
Next Topic: Suspended projectors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:37:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout