Home » Audio » Group Build » How often do you have group builds?
How often do you have group builds? [message #90168] Fri, 26 April 2019 18:49 Go to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
How often do you guys have group builds here? Is there a project calendar? I can look at the thread dates, but many are really just building questions regarding personal projects or about general DIY topics.
Re: How often do you have group builds? [message #90199 is a reply to message #90168] Mon, 29 April 2019 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I am not sure I get the thrust of the post...but for diy projects you will most likely have to go to other sites. I personally post several on diyaudioprojects.com. Other sites like diyaudio.com have some and within specialized fields there are several others.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: How often do you have group builds? [message #90203 is a reply to message #90199] Tue, 30 April 2019 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We used to have a lot of group builds. There were a handful of highly motivated DIYers that posted all kinds of projects. We then announced "group buys" and purchased parts in quantity to build the projects. That was really the purpose of this forum.

It is really helpful to buy certain parts in bulk - like custom wound transformers, chassis and printed circuit boards. Most suppliers won't provide those kinds of products in single quantities, or if they do, the price is high enough you might as well have bought ten or a hundred of them 'cause the price for one is nearly as high as the price for several. So again, that's why we formed the "group build" forum here on AudioRoundTable.com.

But as you both have noted, we haven't seen this kind of activity in quite some time.

It's a stone soup group here. If you have a project you want to build, post it here and see if there is enough interest to get a purchasing group to reduce prices.
Re: How often do you have group builds? [message #90261 is a reply to message #90203] Mon, 06 May 2019 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
Thanks for sharing the website, gofar99. I'm always looking for new projects and can spend all day in my shop puttering around when time allows.

Wayne Parham,that's what I wanted to know. Thanks for taking the time to explain things.
Re: How often do you have group builds? [message #91037 is a reply to message #90168] Mon, 07 October 2019 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
So, is the purpose of courting purchasing groups a way to lower prices for purchases while dropping the company name so they get online recognition?

It sounds like a fair trade.
Re: How often do you have group builds? [message #91039 is a reply to message #91037] Mon, 07 October 2019 08:57 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The purpose of a group build here is simply to use an economy of scale to get parts prices down.

The concept is simple: A forum member here decides they want to build something and they announce a group build by creating a thread here. If there are enough other members interested in the same thing, then they can all pool together and buy kits and/or parts together and get a quantity discount.
Previous Topic: Preamp schematic check
Next Topic: Guitar Amp Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:28:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout