Home » Audio » General » What I have always worried about
What I have always worried about [message #89944] Mon, 18 March 2019 21:10 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I have long be wary of keeping music (or photos etc) in the cloud so it is not a surprise that apparently some has been lost. I hope it hasn't happened to you, but I just don't trust cloud based storage. Check out the link below.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/18/us/myspace-lost-12-years-music-uploads-apology-intl-scli/index.html

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: What I have always worried about [message #89945 is a reply to message #89944] Tue, 19 March 2019 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I hear you, Bruce. I've always felt the same way.

Stuff that's stored on a cloud server is only as safe as the company that hosts the cloud server.

Of course, it's wise to store stuff offsite too, so it makes a lot of sense to store things both locally and on a cloud server or some other offsite system.

But yeah, I'm totally with you on this. I would never depend solely on cloud storage for anything I cared about.
Re: What I have always worried about [message #89947 is a reply to message #89944] Tue, 19 March 2019 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
I never tried storing data on a cloud server. I'm too paranoid that the government or hackers would pry on my files, not that I have illegal data to hide.

Now losing files in a cloud server would be really terrible, especially when we don't have a local backup.
Re: What I have always worried about [message #89950 is a reply to message #89944] Sat, 23 March 2019 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
Though I have never really lost data stored in the cloud, I am fully aware that I could wake up tomorrow and never find it. This looks like an error that came up while the migration of data was happening.
Re: What I have always worried about [message #90164 is a reply to message #89944] Fri, 26 April 2019 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm not technically advanced enough to even know where to start to find The Cloud. Laughing

Adding to my You Tube channel is my idea of "saving" my music. My files are in my File Explorer, and that's good enough for me.
Re: What I have always worried about [message #90172 is a reply to message #89944] Sat, 27 April 2019 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
After re-reading the article, I feel like MySpace owes its users more than just an apology. Would this be sufficient ground for a lawsuit? I just can't imagine losing 12 years' worth of music!
Re: What I have always worried about [message #90190 is a reply to message #89944] Mon, 29 April 2019 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
If I used MySpace for the same purpose I use You Tube for, personal listening pleasure, that would not be grounds for a lawsuit. If I were an artist and that was part of my marketing campaign.......maybe.

But if that is the only platform you have your music on and it gets lost forever, that really isn't the fault of MySpace.
Re: What I have always worried about [message #90198 is a reply to message #90190] Mon, 29 April 2019 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I disagree, since they want you to store you music and data there and make it apparently cost effective over other media then they are IMO responsible for any losses. In my opinion it is essentially a contractual agreement and they failed to fulfil their end. In virtually anything I can think of that makes them resonsible. I agree it is not real smart to have anything stored just in the cloud though and that was part of the focus of the original posting.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: What I have always worried about [message #90987 is a reply to message #90198] Mon, 30 September 2019 23:12 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Making it cost effective is grounds enough for a lawsuit in my opinion. That tactic is enough to make people want to use it and therefore MySpace should be liable for losses if you can prove you lost money when you lost the music.
Previous Topic: Tapping The Microphone
Next Topic: A Rise In Numbers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:54:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout