Home » Audio » Pro Sound » DAW less complicated than Reaper?
DAW less complicated than Reaper? [message #90149] Wed, 24 April 2019 18:27 Go to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
My trial subscription to Reaper is about to run out and unfortunately I didn't get a good feel for it. It's sold at a fantastic price, but it's complicated to learn and not at all intuitive in my opinion. In the past I've used Garage Band, but I'd like to find a DAW with more features. Logically, the next step up is to move into Logic Pro X, but it comes with a hefty price tag and there's no demo option to see if I like it. Have you found a DAW that's simple to use - meaning that a person can quickly get started without reading a novel long manual or watching multiple YouTube videos? If you use Logic Pro X do you believe it's worth the money? I can't believe they don't offer a free trial.
Re: DAW less complicated than Reaper? [message #90161 is a reply to message #90149] Fri, 26 April 2019 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I use Logic Pro, but in my opinion, all of the well-known DAWs are fairly equally good. I'm not sure what you're trying to do with a DAW, but really, if you already use GarageBand and you like it, then moving up to Logic Pro will be the easiest thing to do. Like with most Mac software, the UI is clean and intuitive. I think you already knew that though. I agree that they should offer a demo version and I bet their failure to do so leads to more pirating of this software then they'd experience otherwise. Do you qualify for an education discount? If so, you can get the whole pro apps bundle for education, including Logic Pro and Mainstage, for the same $199 price as just buying the Logic Pro DAW.
Re: DAW less complicated than Reaper? [message #90169 is a reply to message #90161] Fri, 26 April 2019 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
Thanks for your help! That's nice to know about the discount and it's a generous deal when you consider the price of each software package when sold separately. Unfortunately, I'm not a student.

Do you have any experience with Ableton Live? I've noticed that some DAWs break things up so it feels like the buyer is getting nickel and dimed. At least I can try the full version for 30 days for free.
Re: DAW less complicated than Reaper? [message #90183 is a reply to message #90169] Sun, 28 April 2019 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Apple's qualifying pool is fairly generous, "Available to current and newly accepted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff, and homeschool teachers of all grade levels." I don't think they actually check for it when you're ordering software online, it's based on the honor system. You could also register for an edX course or something and meet the requirement I think.

I'm not that familiar with that DAW, so I'm not that much help there. From what I've seen, you can probably find discounts on that DAW around festival times.
Re: DAW less complicated than Reaper? [message #90188 is a reply to message #90149] Mon, 29 April 2019 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Finding a DAW that works for you isn't easy and I've seen people recommending different DAWs based on whether the software does just one specific job or is an all-rounder. Logic Pro X, FL Studio, Cubase Pro, Bitwig Studio and Mixcraft Pro Studio are among others, listed as the best DAWs.

Why would Apple offer GarageBand for free and have no free trial for Logic Pro X? Is it a matter of one being superior over the other?
Re: DAW less complicated than Reaper? [message #90217 is a reply to message #90188] Thu, 02 May 2019 17:45 Go to previous message
Grand Master
I believe Apple considers GarageBand to be the lite version of Logic Pro X. Both have the same UI in the beginning and GarageBand files seamlessly convert into Logic files. It still isn't the same as offering a free trial in my opinion because you can't test all the loops or all the audio plug-ins. You can't play around with the MIDI collection or the sample-manipulating synthesizer. Those features, and how they work, are make or break to some artists. GarageBand is still a great DAW, you just don't get as many options.
Previous Topic: Digital Editing
Next Topic: Digital piano
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:29:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout