Home » Audio » Source » Capturing Movie Soundtracks
Capturing Movie Soundtracks [message #89992] Wed, 03 April 2019 16:59 Go to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
I have a collection of movies, and there are some soundtracks that I would like to listen to. How do we capture the soundtracks from a movie without the voice and the sound effects of the movie?
Re: Capturing Movie Soundtracks [message #89999 is a reply to message #89992] Thu, 04 April 2019 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No idear'. I'd say your best bet is just looking to see if a soundtrack is commercially available.
Re: Capturing Movie Soundtracks [message #90028 is a reply to message #89992] Sun, 07 April 2019 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I've seen some of these soundtracks on YouTube, but most of them are compiled into a single compilation that I cannot choose the specific song or track that I'd like to play.
Re: Capturing Movie Soundtracks [message #90036 is a reply to message #90028] Sun, 07 April 2019 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Soundtracks used to be released on vinyl, tape and c.d.. Aren't downloads available today? Every other individual song seems to be.
Re: Capturing Movie Soundtracks [message #90092 is a reply to message #90036] Thu, 11 April 2019 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Rusty wrote on Sun, 07 April 2019 09:47
Soundtracks used to be released on vinyl, tape and c.d.. Aren't downloads available today? Every other individual song seems to be.
I guess that's the only way to acquire the movie or TV show soundtrack. I was thinking that we could get the soundtrack from the DVD's that we have.
Re: Capturing Movie Soundtracks [message #90523 is a reply to message #90092] Tue, 25 June 2019 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
You can rip the audio from a DVD, but it might not be perfect. The easiest way, in my opinion, is to use HandBrake to rip the DVD into a video file format, then load it into VLC Media Player to split the audio from the video (demux). Both HandBrake and VLC Media Player are free and both work on Mac and Windows. You might be disappointed with the quality of your audio though. I think you can use Audacity for this too, but I don't know that software well. It's also free if you want to try it. Have you tried checking YouTube for the soundtrack?

@Rusty, it depends on how obscure/popular the movie was and what year it was shot.
Re: Capturing Movie Soundtracks [message #90588 is a reply to message #89992] Mon, 01 July 2019 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
If the movie was popular, then the soundtracks may be sold individually as music records. I have an album of Hans Zimmer's famous soundtracks. His music is like a marriage of instrumental pop and classical music.
Re: Capturing Movie Soundtracks [message #90637 is a reply to message #90588] Wed, 03 July 2019 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Groot, Hans Zimmerman is incredibly expressive and I don't think there's ever been a real miss with his work. I think he's a modern composer with the most depth when compared to his contemporaries.

Reggie,have you tried looking at some of the fan sites? Sometimes they'll have a music link posted. Reddit's music subs as well are another good place to look. Good luck!
Re: Capturing Movie Soundtracks [message #90668 is a reply to message #89992] Thu, 11 July 2019 08:08 Go to previous message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
Hey there Reggie. I have a fantastic suggestion for you. I was listening to the Piano Guys, and their rendition of the Pirates of the Caribbean came up. It was better than the original, in my own opinion. The point is, you can find lots of covers of soundtracks on the internet.
Previous Topic: Uncompressed audio formats
Next Topic: R2R ladder dac's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:46:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout