Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Fostex 206 in custom cabinets, weak bass, please help!
Fostex 206 in custom cabinets, weak bass, please help! [message #9007] Tue, 31 May 2005 15:32 Go to next message
Peter Swartz is currently offline  Peter Swartz
Baron
Hello, Well my cabinets are finally done, I instahled the Fostex 206's that were so highly recommended to me and hooked them up to my new used Consonance 9 watt M500 mono blocks. My first impression was that they were thin sounding, with minimal bass and a bit bright. After listening a while I certainly appreciated the beautiful midrange detail. I built the cabinets based on Fostex's recomendations with a 45 liter cabinet and a 3"port, 3"s long. I moved my subwoofer in to the bedroom but would still like to see how I might be able to get more low mid bass and bass from these cabinets. Any sugestions??????
A few more details on cabinets. They we made from 1" MDF. I may have over done it on the interior cabinet dressing. I first glued and stapled eighth inch thick rubber material through out interior serfaces then stapled 3/8" felt through out then added some 1" dacron batting on only two walls, the top and the back wall with additional felt on the back wall. There's plenty of clear air from the rear of the driver to the port but maybe I need to remove some of my interior treatment? Thanks, Pete

Thanks, Pete

peterswartz@earthlink.net

Re: Fostex 206 in custom cabinets, weak bass, please help! [message #9009 is a reply to message #9007] Tue, 31 May 2005 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master

Peter,

I'm not the expert on such things, but I suspect you need a correction circuit to balance to the SPL response. Take a look at Martin King's site, http://www.quarter-wave.com. Hopefully others will chime in with more detailed advice.

Re: Fostex 206 in custom cabinets, weak bass, please help! [message #9011 is a reply to message #9007] Wed, 01 June 2005 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paba is currently offline  paba
Chancellor
Hi Pete,

couple of things.
Those drivers need about 200 to 300 hours to break-in. I would wait for the break-in before trying to "fix" something.
second point, is that driver is really design for back-load horn. Even Fostex says so, and even though they provide the 45 liter box example it really will never do much in such a box. atleast not without a correction circuit. Then this circuit will eat up the efficiency you need with 9 Watts, cause it could brink you down to a few dB.
My best advice is after the breakin if you still don't like it move to the other cabinet Fostex recommends.

good luck
paba

right on [message #9015 is a reply to message #9011] Wed, 01 June 2005 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve
Viscount
Paba is probably right on.

Steve

Re: Fostex 206 in custom cabinets, weak bass, please help! [message #9019 is a reply to message #9007] Fri, 03 June 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Triode_Kingdom is currently offline  Triode_Kingdom
Chancellor
There's really no need for so much dampening in a ported enclosure. In particular, spongy materials like felt and rubber can absorb a great deal of the bass energy needed to activate the port, but without a commensurate reduction of reflections of higher frequency energy. They have a place in infinite baffle enclosures, but generally not tuned boxes. I have never used anything other than than polyfill or fiberglass in ported systems, and even with those, it's possible to over damp the system. I recommend removing the felt and rubber, then installing about 2" of the poly material on every wall. See if that doesn't bring the bass back to life. The recommendation regarding break-in by the other posters is also good advice, although I think it may take longer for the suspension to loosen up than most people realize.

Re: Fostex 206 in custom cabinets, weak bass, please help! [message #9024 is a reply to message #9007] Mon, 06 June 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zincman is currently offline  zincman
Baron
I personally would wait for the speakers to break in. I have used several Fostex drivers and all sounded better with time.

Re: Fostex 206 in custom cabinets, weak bass, please help! [message #9025 is a reply to message #9019] Mon, 06 June 2005 15:43 Go to previous message
Peter Swartz is currently offline  Peter Swartz
Baron
Thanks for your suggestions. I did remove most of the felt inside, which was a lot but I was surprised it did not seem to make much of a difference. I'm trying to stay away from adding tone controls but I think I need to. The drivers are already broken in, I did that before I mounted them, I ran them for 50 hrs. with various music program at moderate levels. I would like to experiment with a couple different port lengths. Currently I have 3" port 3" long. Any suggestions? Do you know of a stand alone unit that only have tube tone controls? Thanks again for your help, Pete

Previous Topic: Power Supply suggestions
Next Topic: SEX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:28:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout