Home » Audio » Radio » Increasing The Frequency Range
Increasing The Frequency Range [message #90066] Tue, 09 April 2019 11:16 Go to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
I'm wondering whether we can increase the range of the radio to pick up radio stations that are far from our location. I know about increasing the range of Wi-Fi range, so there might be also a device that can increase the range of the radio.
Re: Increasing The Frequency Range [message #90068 is a reply to message #90066] Tue, 09 April 2019 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If you mean am/fm radio. Then a good antennae, as high up as you can get it.
Re: Increasing The Frequency Range [message #90081 is a reply to message #90068] Wed, 10 April 2019 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
The fact of the matter is that antennas do matter but most of the time, people don't really pay much attention to it. The good thing is that most of the FM radios have a provision for an external antenna hook up. I think that how you place the radio determines the range of reception.
Re: Increasing The Frequency Range [message #90304 is a reply to message #90066] Sun, 12 May 2019 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Couple with the size of the antenna? In a vehicle, there is really no way to re-position the radio so you are left having to put on more antenna's.
Re: Increasing The Frequency Range [message #90307 is a reply to message #90304] Sun, 12 May 2019 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, an external antenna is the way to go. I use a 10 element "beam" to reach stations as far as Phoenix (about 150-175 miles). It looks like a ladder laid flat. They used to be quite common, but rather scarce now. I suspect a Google search would find some. Height is also VIP. The biggest drawback is the higher the gain of the antenna, the more directional it is. Thus if you want stations that are in different directions you have a problem. Antenna rotors can fix this, but now you are getting complicated and likely costly. I personally have never had great success with FM antenna amplifiers when used on external antennas. They seemed to add as much noise as signal. If you go for an external antenna be sure to use quality wire. Both twin lead (nominal 300 ohm RF impedance) or coax (typically 75 ohm) are fine. Each has advantages and disadvantages. BTW the supposed to be super indoor powered antennas are not nearly as good. in a pinch some TV antennas that cover the VHF band (channels 2-13 in the old days) can work fairly well on FM as the FM stations are actually in between what was channel 6 and channel 7.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Increasing The Frequency Range [message #90319 is a reply to message #90066] Mon, 13 May 2019 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thank you for the information. That is well worth saving.

Now, when you say directional, what exactly do you mean? If I am traveling east on I-40 northwest of the valley (Phx.) will I have issues picking up Phx.?
Re: Increasing The Frequency Range [message #90336 is a reply to message #90319] Tue, 14 May 2019 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Directional is just that. Stuff in the direction of the antenna is made stronger, stuff to the side is weakened.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Increasing The Frequency Range [message #90392 is a reply to message #90336] Sun, 02 June 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Great info in this thread. Is it advisable to also use aluminium foils or is just a myth that this greatly improves reception? Overall, I would easily go for an external antenna as I believe it to be the most effective.
Re: Increasing The Frequency Range [message #90459 is a reply to message #90066] Tue, 18 June 2019 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
Thanks for answering my query. I have been busy things lately, so I failed to reply in a timely fashion.

What do you think of hooking up the radio to the TV antenna? I'm curious about this that I won't wait for the answer and experiment on it instead.
Re: Increasing The Frequency Range [message #90529 is a reply to message #90459] Tue, 25 June 2019 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, many TV antennas can be used for FM. The FM band is between VHF (not UHF or HD) broadcast channels 6 and 7 and it was easier to make the antennas wide band and thus cover the FM range as well. Some even had additional elements to fill in the range better as really channel 6 was way lower in frequency than 7. If you can find one, a true FM antenna is better. It will be narrower in band width and thus eliminate many of the TV signals that might interfere with FM reception. I am sure there must be sources for them still, but certainly not as common as in years ago. I guess in the long run it depends on how good your receiver is, how far away the stations are, the ability to mount an external antenna and your budget.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Simple ways to improve reception
Next Topic: Sat radio lifetime subscription
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:42:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers