Home » Audio » Source » Better Than MP3?
Better Than MP3? [message #89953] Sat, 23 March 2019 12:21 Go to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
Is there a format out there that is better than an MP3 format? I'm contented with the MP3 format because of its compressed size and still retaining the quality of the sound. But my collection is occupying a lot on my phone that an even smaller format would be great to have.
Re: Better Than MP3? [message #89963 is a reply to message #89953] Wed, 27 March 2019 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Two things: there are several sampling rates to MP3 and the larger ones are better also have bigger files. But....every format is better than MP3. Depending on your starage capacity if compression is really needed I would probably use FLAC. Bigger files, but better sound. With storage so cheap now I personally use un-compressed files only.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Better Than MP3? [message #89996 is a reply to message #89953] Thu, 04 April 2019 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Upgrading the storage might be the solution, but my phone is too old to be upgraded. I will save up money to buy a new phone with a larger storage space.
Re: Better Than MP3? [message #90008 is a reply to message #89963] Fri, 05 April 2019 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
Malfoy, AAC files and MP3 files deliver the same audio quality, but AAC files take up less space so you might try that as a solution. AAC is a lossy audio file, so you won't get the same rich sound you'd experience from a lossless audio file like FLAC or ALAC (Apple), but you might not even notice since you're just playing these on your phone.

gofar99 wrote on Wed, 27 March 2019 17:18
But....every format is better than MP3.
Does that mean you find that the audio quality is better on cassette tapes and compact discs or are you narrowing it down to just digital file formats specifically?
Re: Better Than MP3? [message #90013 is a reply to message #90008] Fri, 05 April 2019 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi. Cassettes can be quite excellent, My HK391 can do 30HZ to 22K according to the specs on chrome tape with a S/N of about 70db (It has Dolby B, C and HX pro). CDs are far better than MP3. They are usually spec'd at 20HZ to 20K and at least 90 db S/N. MP3 don't even come close. They were not designed to do so.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Better Than MP3? [message #90026 is a reply to message #90013] Sat, 06 April 2019 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Malfoy, I can't tell a difference between the various file types when I'm listening to them on my phone. I usually only listen to it when I'm at the gym, walking at the park, or just out and about, so the music competes with other noise anyway. Maybe you could save lossless files for when you're using quality headphones and speakers rather than earbuds and a phone. Play around with an online audio converter or mobile app to see if you can compress your MP3 files further.

Subjectively, I've always felt that vinyl produces the best sound and cassette tapes produce the worst. My tapes never lasted long and they didn't sound great to begin with. Then again, I played my favorite songs over and over while skipping the duds. I'm sure all that rewinding and fast-forwarding didn't help. Every Walkman I've owned has been a real pleasure though. I dropped them many times, but each model kept ticking along.
Re: Better Than MP3? [message #90027 is a reply to message #90026] Sat, 06 April 2019 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I prefer vinyl as well.....with six turntables that is a giveaway. Next is a tough call. Either reel to reel tape or digital (no loss types). The cassette which as I mentioned can be really good on decent gear. Unfortunately most recordings are made on average equipment and do not convey the sound as best it might be. Then comes lossy digital. I seldon use any as my portable player (a Fiio X3) can handle any format I want and with 128 GB of storage a zillion tracks. Smart phones have come a long way and newest ones are quite excellent, but I don't use mine that way.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Better Than MP3? [message #90031 is a reply to message #90026] Sun, 07 April 2019 08:07 Go to previous message
Viscount
Madison wrote on Sat, 06 April 2019 20:49
Subjectively, I've always felt that vinyl produces the best sound and cassette tapes produce the worst. My tapes never lasted long and they didn't sound great to begin with. Then again, I played my favorite songs over and over while skipping the duds. I'm sure all that rewinding and fast-forwarding didn't help. Every Walkman I've owned has been a real pleasure though. I dropped them many times, but each model kept ticking along.
You are correct about this topic as subjective. I have some music files that sounded crisper than others. Maybe the difference was made during the encryption process to become an MP3 file. I also have some difference of volume as some of my music is louder than others, even though I have set the volume in just one level.
Previous Topic: Modern Turntable Recs
Next Topic: Wire recorders
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:23:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout