Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » I Hate Wire
I Hate Wire [message #89994] Wed, 03 April 2019 18:17 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, just beefing here...If it wasn't for wire I would never have a bad connection or loose cable or jack that came out. My system is admittedly more complex than most. I need the capability as I design gear. Everything needs to be "tested" in the main system to see if it does what I want. Reconfiguration takes place with what my spouse calls alarming regularity. Mad I see the nearly weekly alterations differently Smile Every time there is a change though it seems one or more devices is not doing its job. Hum, noise or no sound are the most common issues. It can nearly always can be traced to a cable or wire connection. Finding it can take some time and is a pain in the #$^^#. So that is why I hate wires. Anyone else have the same issue?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: I Hate Wire [message #90000 is a reply to message #89994] Thu, 04 April 2019 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Can't say wire as much as solder connections that have given me issues. Putting a tube amp kit together gave me a lesson in the merit's of good soldering. I had some cold solder's that gave me fit's tracing the culprit. If I ever get around to making another pair of speakers, I think I'll use those Neutrik speakeron connectors. They just seem to offer a more solid easy connection than typical binding posts.
Re: I Hate Wire [message #90015 is a reply to message #90000] Fri, 05 April 2019 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Laughing I'm laughing at this subject in solidarity with you!

I've done do so very many projects over the years. Most of my favorite things are things that I've made, and many of them are things that I've designed as well.

So my life is filled with equipment that represents hundreds of man-hours of design, development, prototyping, testing and refinement labor in addition to the costs of the parts.

I know you guys share the same experience.

Anyway, I find that I like to spend a good amount of time perfecting a design, and then making devices from it or having them made. I like to setup a system and just enjoy it, without tinkering with it. I like being done.
Re: I Hate Wire [message #90043 is a reply to message #90015] Sun, 07 April 2019 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, What I really need is a new generation of components. You get them all together, throw them into a chassis, shake it three times, mention the magic word and zap....a new fully functional device. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: I Hate Wire [message #90209 is a reply to message #90043] Wed, 01 May 2019 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In a perfect world Gofar. We all want that.

This is the price we pay for being audiophiles though. Our perfectionism in a craft that is imperfect leaves us banging our head against walls from time to time.

Take a breath. Smile
Re: I Hate Wire [message #90225 is a reply to message #90209] Fri, 03 May 2019 17:14 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I'm over it now...I think I start hating capacitors now. Laughing

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Incompatible housemates
Next Topic: Stairway To Heaven Backwards
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:01:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects