Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Rebooting Long Dead TV Series
Rebooting Long Dead TV Series [message #89916] Wed, 13 March 2019 09:35 Go to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
I'm sick of hearing about all the reboots of old shows and movies being released. There must be a market for them or else it wouldn't be a trend, but I have to wonder why everyone wants to watch the same thing over and over again?
Re: Rebooting Long Dead TV Series [message #89918 is a reply to message #89916] Thu, 14 March 2019 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I kind of like some of the "reboots." For example, "Lost in Space" was revisited as a movie in 1998. I personally loved that movie. And Netflix made a new series too, which I enjoy as well.

The Star Trek series has been continually "reborn" in various series-spinoffs and movies spanning three generations. I like most incarnations of that franchise.

And this "Westworld" series is interesting too. It didn't start life as a series - it was a movie - but it is similar in that it is a remake of a long dead movie. I really like what HBO did with that concept.

So I think sometimes it's neat to see a show that was done long ago, maybe originally with insufficient resources, redone today with better funding and special effects.
Re: Rebooting Long Dead TV Series [message #89922 is a reply to message #89916] Fri, 15 March 2019 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
Hey, fair enough I suppose. I love Star Trek as well. I guess what I was thinking of was shows that wouldn't benefit from advancements in special effects technology such as Roseanne, Will & Grace, Murphy Brown and the like.
Re: Rebooting Long Dead TV Series [message #90003 is a reply to message #89918] Thu, 04 April 2019 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 14 March 2019 09:56

So I think sometimes it's neat to see a show that was done long ago, maybe originally with insufficient resources, redone today with better funding and special effects.
I'm glad you wrote that. It's entirely changed my outlook. I was aggravated by the large number of reboots that have entered the scene lately, but now I can see a benefit to some of these and why they're happening, other than because it's profitable for movie studios and television networks.

Maybe the show creators always wistfully thought they'd write another sitcom series about the young adults that once starred as kids in their hit shows like we saw in Fuller House and Roseanne. I'm not sure really, it's probably a money grab, but I can see the other side of it too now.
Re: Rebooting Long Dead TV Series [message #90006 is a reply to message #90003] Thu, 04 April 2019 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
I would understand if it was just one or two shows that were being rebooted or remade, but it feels like we've been overrun by the sheer numbers of them. Even Disney is getting in on it by making several live-action versions of their classics.
Re: Rebooting Long Dead TV Series [message #90033 is a reply to message #89916] Sun, 07 April 2019 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
Reboots are being done because there are fans that wanted to see a new twist of the story or just plain revisit the same story in a different light. I like the reboot of Total Recall because the CGI was more refined.
Re: Rebooting Long Dead TV Series [message #90160 is a reply to message #89916] Fri, 26 April 2019 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I suppose a lot of time goes into researching if a reboot would be worth it. I would watch a more refined version of a redone movie if it is something I initially enjoyed. Do we have any reboots that ended up flopping ? I cannot recall any.
Re: Rebooting Long Dead TV Series [message #90562 is a reply to message #89916] Sat, 29 June 2019 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
I can of one TV show and one movie that for me are flop reboots. Heroes was one of my favorite TV shows until the villains become heroes and vice versa. They rebooted the program, but it did not rekindle my enthusiasm about that show. The Mummy is a good movie, but it lost the charm of the first trilogy.
Re: Rebooting Long Dead TV Series [message #90598 is a reply to message #89916] Mon, 01 July 2019 10:32 Go to previous message
AcousticJack is currently offline  AcousticJack
Chancellor
I am not very sure if I like reboots, but when I like a movie or a TV show, I do watch it over and over again. I guess everyone is different.

Also, reboots can sometimes have a better quality; especially if the show is really old. Don't you think?
Previous Topic: Song Covers Are Better
Next Topic: Best of the Worst Movies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:59:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout