I'm planning to redesign my room to accommodate a new set of speakers and a TV monitor. I will need an additional electrical outlet for these gadgets. Do you think an extension electrical cord will do the job or should I have a fixed electrical outlet in the walls?
Installing an extra electrical outlet would be ideal as they're safer and more reliable than an extension cord. If you're using the extension cord for a small number of items, it's alright, but when you get to the point of having lots of things on the cord, you should consider installing another outlet instead.
Thanks for your advice. The reason I don't want to install a new electrical outlet is because I don't want to ruin the wall. I may have to hire somebody to install it so that the wall will look still the same when the installation is finished.
I saw you posted this in March so it might already be a finished project. I'm just chiming in to say that it's not hard to DIY an electrical outlet and to make the hole disappear back into the wall again. The outlet wall plate will help with that. I'm all for hiring pros, but sometimes it's difficult to find one to do a small job like that.
If it would you could always string more wire to another part of the house and wire it to another breaker that will handle the load. More work and wiring involved, but I personally think it would be better than an extension cord.
gofar99 Messages: 1728 Registered: May 2010 Location: Southern Arizona
Illuminati (4th Degree)
Hi, I highly suggest that anyone that is not well versed in electrical wiring and understands the applicable electrical codes not undertake anything to do with mains AC wiring. Some of the suggestions are serious code violations and can result in bad things happening. What I would suggest it that if you have a number of devices in the system and not enough plugs is to get one of the power converters. Not a strip or simple surge protector. The converters will depending on the model filter, maintain the voltage, surge protect and act as a sort of circuit breaker if you overload it. Many provide visual information on the voltage output, power being consumed and other factors. Some are quite costly, others not so much. I like ones by APC. I use an H-1500 on my main system. I have a Triplet in my shop as well. It is a simple cure to the problem and will protect both you and your gear from many types of problems. You can also use it as a single point power on off switch for the system (I do).
BTW, even with 4 tube mono blocks and lots of other gear my APC indicates a load of less than 700 watts when everything is running. Unless you have really power hungry gear it should not be nearly enough to cause a problem on any normal household circuit. That is unless you do something odd like plugging in a space heater in the same one.
If in doubt get an electrician to install a dedicated circuit for you. It is likely to be a worthwhile investment.