Home » xyzzy » Tower » Opinions Remain As Opinions
Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89890] Sat, 09 March 2019 08:38 Go to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
There are many radio personalities that think that their opinion is the truth. It can be amusing sometimes but thinking about other people who believe everything they hear from that radio announcer, then that becomes annoying to me, especially when that person is a part of my family.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89891 is a reply to message #89890] Sat, 09 March 2019 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
To me, the proliferation of radio "personalities" that promote their conspiratorial bias are of the lowest form of hucksterism. I think some people are validating their own prejudices through these media charlatans. It seems disturbing and degrading to our culture.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89892 is a reply to message #89890] Sun, 10 March 2019 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
You both have a good point on this, but this is the effect of free speech. Everyone has the right to express themselves even when what they are saying is pure fantasy or conspiracy. We also have our own right, the right to change the channel. Very Happy
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89895 is a reply to message #89892] Sun, 10 March 2019 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Free speech though does not mean one has a right to shout fire in a theater without cause. It's gotten to the point that extremists are promoting their provocations enough to be libelous. Or worse, inciting criminality. Unfortunately, the proliferation of unsubstantiated information via internet and social media is disguised enough to degrade the ability of just tuning out. Fake news has entered our social vocabulary and it's implication's have dubious meaning's. These day's, being vigil sifting out the manure seems to require a shovel.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89898 is a reply to message #89890] Sun, 10 March 2019 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
Well said, Rusty. I agree with you. It seems like every other schmuck has a YouTube channel, Podcast, Twitter account, whatever else where they blast their views 24/7 and it's taken as gospel by their followers, no matter how ridiculous the message. How they even get followers in the first place is a mystery to me!
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89927 is a reply to message #89895] Sat, 16 March 2019 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
Rusty wrote on Sun, 10 March 2019 10:10
These day's, being vigil sifting out the manure seems to require a shovel.
I can't agree more. The lies and the garbage that is being proliferated these days are much more than the truth. I don't know why people these days are so gullible in whatever they see in social media or even in the mainstream media.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89935 is a reply to message #89927] Sun, 17 March 2019 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
It seems I am ever in need of a bigger shovel. Mad

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89936 is a reply to message #89890] Mon, 18 March 2019 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
Social media, eh...personally, I try and stay as far away from it as possible. I just ignore it all. Of course, you can't escape everything, and I know just as well as anyone else does about "fake news". Seems to be a lot of it these days coming from all sides.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89946 is a reply to message #89890] Tue, 19 March 2019 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
So I opened this matter to the family that has a different opinion, which was guided by what he was listening to on the radio. We ended up agreeing to disagree, but to respect each other's point of view. Still, I can't believe that he follows all the crap that the media is saying.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89962 is a reply to message #89946] Wed, 27 March 2019 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Have you heard of groupthink? If one is biased to begin with, and find's a topic('s) that resonate with their bias, then, a format such as radio talk is a easy way to reinforce their bias. They don't have to research anything regarding their position of a topic. They have the "group" that promotes it's validity. It's an easy cop out of doing some homework to gain some insight on how it stands up to other view's. Any debate, becomes an emotional quagmire.
Previous Topic: Gary Larson Interview
Next Topic: The Blob
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:14:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout