Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Getting Started
Getting Started [message #89851] Sat, 23 February 2019 10:37 Go to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
How did you get into working on DIY projects? It's something I'd like to try and dive into but in all honesty it seems so complicated. Did it take you a long time to become competent or do you just have a knack for it?
Re: Getting Started [message #89855 is a reply to message #89851] Sat, 23 February 2019 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was motivated by trying to get more from what modest budget I had and learn a little something in the process. I was a budding woodworker, so a diy loudspeaker was a natural aspiration. I made some subwoofers. That led me into electronics, (which I had zero experience). Kit's were the answer. I built an amplifier from a kit. The venerable Hafler 220 power amplifier. Which I still use, since 1986. Today there are butt loads of kits of all manner. Take your pick, whatever you have a hankering for. You'll appreciate something you actively took part in the making to listen to. You don't have to get heavy into electronic theory to do this. But you'll naturally get an appreciation of it and those that can do the creative work involved conjuring up those nifty kit's you put together.

Re: Getting Started [message #89856 is a reply to message #89855] Sun, 24 February 2019 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Cost certainly factors into it, but I think more importantly is the satisfaction of accomplishment. I figure it starts out with curiosity and progresses to the question of "can I do that" and on to "can I make it better" or more in agreement with my needs (personalization). While I have been involved with electronics for over 50 years, I didn't get serious in designing equipment until about a decade ago. At that time I bought a kit tube amp. Yes it worked OK, but really was not top flight. I figured I might be able to improve it. Yes I did and along the way figured I could design and build a better one. It became the genesis of a tube audio company that has now been in business for nearly 9 years. So my thought for you is to start simple and let your interests and curiosity guide you. You will probably be able to look back at some future date and say "wow, I didn't think I could do that". Since you already can do wood working you are headed in the right direction IMO.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Getting Started [message #89871 is a reply to message #89851] Fri, 01 March 2019 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks for the responses everyone. They're very helpful. I didn't consider getting a kit, but I think that's a great idea. If I can build something that works for the next 32 years, even better. Laughing
Re: Getting Started [message #89872 is a reply to message #89871] Sat, 02 March 2019 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
What are you looking to build?
Re: Getting Started [message #89882 is a reply to message #89851] Wed, 06 March 2019 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I was thinking of building a small 10W amplifier. From what I've read, it would be ideal for boosting the audio of a cell phone or mp3 player.
Re: Getting Started [message #89883 is a reply to message #89882] Wed, 06 March 2019 10:06 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Far out! Your going to enjoy the fruits of your own labor. Who know where you might go from it. Maybe post a pic?

Previous Topic: What are you working on?
Next Topic: Where to get kits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:07:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout