Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Damping Foam
Damping Foam [message #89751] Thu, 07 February 2019 21:52 Go to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
Any recommendations for damping foam? I'm browsing Amazon and the price differences are insane ($45 to over $1000). I'm not really looking for the best of the best but I don't want to get stuck with cheap garbage either. It's hard to trust reviews on Amazon - amazingly, almost everything on their site is rated 4 1/2 stars. Laughing
Re: Damping Foam [message #89756 is a reply to message #89751] Fri, 08 February 2019 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There isn't much to acoustic wedges. You almost can't go wrong. It's not like open cell foam is tricky to make so even the inexpensive products will be made right. And it's most vulnerable to sunlight, so since it's used indoors, you can expect it to last a while.

The main thing to consider is the thickness. A thin sheet can only damp high frequencies. The thicker it is, the lower it will work. So sheets with tall wedges are better than thin sheets or sheets with short wedges.

You can also space the sheets away from the walls. If a sheet is hung away from the wall, it will act like a thicker sheet. It's inconvenient because the material doesn't really lend itself to that. But it is worth knowing because you can do other things like hanging thick curtains away from walls to provide lower-frequency damping. To get down to bass frequencies, you really need panel absorbers or bass traps.
Re: Damping Foam [message #89776 is a reply to message #89756] Sat, 09 February 2019 19:17 Go to previous message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
I usually pay the most attention to the reviews that say Amazon Verified Purchase. At least I know the person owns the item then. If you're still worried about authenticity you can double check at ReviewMeta and Fakespot to see whether they could be fake.
Previous Topic: Reflection of sound
Next Topic: Making your audio sound better
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:07:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout