Home » Audio » Source » Where do you typically buy your music?
Where do you typically buy your music? [message #89757] Fri, 08 February 2019 09:58 Go to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Where do you all usually buy your music? I get most of my digital music through iTunes due to the convenience of it. I've tried ordering from Amazon with mixed results. The digital music is okay, but the records I've bought are very thin and the music doesn't sound as "warm" as it should.
Re: Where do you typically buy your music? [message #89758 is a reply to message #89757] Fri, 08 February 2019 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I buy online mainly for my vinyl. Both new and used. It seems the few small local shops have a limited variety for my tastes. Otherwise I would support them. Discogs is a good source for used records and c.d.'s. For those artists and titles you just can't find elsewhere.
Re: Where do you typically buy your music? [message #89768 is a reply to message #89758] Sat, 09 February 2019 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
Porter, you might be falling into the trap of buying poor quality reissues instead of the originals which can make a difference in how the music sounds. Some reissues are excellent, you just have to make sure you're getting the analog format rather than something that is digitally enhanced or remastered.
Re: Where do you typically buy your music? [message #89773 is a reply to message #89757] Sat, 09 February 2019 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I'm not sure what you're comparing it to, but records made in the mid to late 70s and 80s are going to be thinner and flimsier than those made in the 60s and earlier. The country's energy crisis meant materials cost more, so the studios used less materials to make more money. In the 80s, cassette tapes were very common and most labels switched to that format. In the late 80s compact discs were all the rage and labels spent money on that too. Those that still made records had to save money where they could which meant thinner records and lighter album covers. One key thing to find out is whether the original source was used to make the reissues.

I second using Discog for great sounding vinyl records. That's where I buy my vinyl online for the most part. I've snagged some great albums at thrift stores and garage sales and I think it's easier to shop that way since I can look things over before buying.
Re: Where do you typically buy your music? [message #89801 is a reply to message #89757] Tue, 12 February 2019 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
I prefer to buy my records from a local shop in town. They always have a great selection and very low prices. It's much more expensive for me to purchase records online. Barring access to a good local shop, I'd recommend Discogs as well.
Re: Where do you typically buy your music? [message #89878 is a reply to message #89757] Sun, 03 March 2019 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
For digital music, I stream it from Spotify or YouTube. I used to have a Google Play subscription but I didn't care for the interface. As for records, normally I buy them from Amazon. I've never noticed anything wrong with the audio quality.
Re: Where do you typically buy your music? [message #95827 is a reply to message #89757] Tue, 12 July 2022 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curry is currently offline  Curry
Chancellor
I stream music through Spotify. It has a better selection from my broad interest and pocket friendly. I also prefer audio, but once in a while, I get to the shop in town for those rare old songs that I don't get online.

Re: Where do you typically buy your music? [message #96581 is a reply to message #95827] Wed, 29 March 2023 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I haven't bought music in a very long time. When I discovered how to get the most out of YouTube, I started saving a lot of money.

I do see myself buying more vinyl in the years to come, though.
Re: Where do you typically buy your music? [message #96660 is a reply to message #89757] Tue, 02 May 2023 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
I never did get into the digital streaming stuff. I buy my music from brick-and-mortar stores. There are enough record stores popping up that I don't have to worry about finding one.
Re: Where do you typically buy your music? [message #96664 is a reply to message #96660] Wed, 03 May 2023 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Those thick platters that are promoted as audiophile grade pressings are a gimmick I think. Doesn't make a lick of difference to the thin ones. And digital reissues I can't find issues with unless in some cases they're remastered akin to the loudness wars that takes all the nuance out of the recording.

The great thing about the Discogs format is that it involves all the little brick & mortar shops out there that join the collective marketplace. So shopping online is in a way supporting those little places. And it gives a huge selection to look from. All genres, pressings, qualities and prices. Which is why I got tired of dealing with the bidding markup of ebay.
Previous Topic: Radial Audio Stealth One Tonearm by Dean Slindee
Next Topic: The "Fad" Doesn't Seem To Be Dying
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:48:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout