Home » Audio » Speaker » Smart speakers
Smart speakers [message #89746] Thu, 07 February 2019 12:08 Go to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Which set of smart speakers do you believe are the best bet right now in terms of sound, functionality, and longevity? I'd hate to invest in a system that sounds terrible or becomes obsolete quickly.
Re: Smart speakers [message #89763 is a reply to message #89746] Sat, 09 February 2019 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
I like Amazon Echo simply because it's compatible with Apple Music and Amazon Prime Music. Alexa seems to know the most commands, at least for now.
Re: Smart speakers [message #89767 is a reply to message #89763] Sat, 09 February 2019 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Aren't all these smart speakers designed to steer you towards buying from the entity that sells them?
Re: Smart speakers [message #89771 is a reply to message #89767] Sat, 09 February 2019 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Rusty wrote on Sat, 09 February 2019 10:14
Aren't all these smart speakers designed to steer you towards buying from the entity that sells them?
That and they're designed to make you lazy I guess. I've avoided them for a long time due to privacy concerns, but I must admit that listening to the traffic report while I'm getting ready in the morning is appealing. Sure, I could look it up online, but that's where the laziness comes in I suppose. I'm betting these speakers don't sound near as good as my regular floor speakers though. It almost feels inevitable - like all electronics are becoming part of the IoT army. I take it you've avoided getting sucked into the ecosystem, Rusty?
Re: Smart speakers [message #89772 is a reply to message #89771] Sat, 09 February 2019 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Damn straight. I think this pay for service for everything as you go is a crock. We're being sucked into a vortex of perpetual debt. If we let them, legislation will allow for privatization of basic services and infrastructure. It's not an ecosystem, it's parasitism.
Re: Smart speakers [message #89775 is a reply to message #89772] Sat, 09 February 2019 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
One bad thing about smart speakers and smart televisions is that they need to update often and the machine will glitch out if you don't. They always seem to update at the most inopportune times too. I was listening to an e-book the other day and it was right at the climax of the story when my Echo had to update. It was frustrating as heck! I worry about smart machines making us more vulnerable to cyber attacks. I have to admit though that I do enjoy my Amazon Echo, Show, Dot, and every other connected device. I think Amazon sucked my family into their system with their Prime benefits and cheap devices. I have an iPhone, Apple Watch, and iPad too, so it's not like I've avoided Apple, but their HomePod is pricey and incompatible with many of the things I use.
Re: Smart speakers [message #89785 is a reply to message #89746] Mon, 11 February 2019 02:41 Go to previous message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
I suppose it defeats the name "smart" when these devices are not smart enough to work on their own without updates. Or maybe, it is not the gadgets that are smart but the companies that manufactured them.
Previous Topic: Stop stuttering/skipping
Next Topic: Computer Speaker Not Working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:13:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout