Home » Audio » General » Cellphone Signals Interfering Airplane Control (How True Is This?)
Cellphone Signals Interfering Airplane Control [message #89731] Wed, 06 February 2019 20:05 Go to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
What is the truth behind the cell phones being turned off or set to flight mode during takeoffs and landings? If there is a cell phone interference with the controls, then why is it that it can be turned on during the flight?
Re: Cellphone Signals Interfering Airplane Control [message #89734 is a reply to message #89731] Wed, 06 February 2019 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, As I understand it they are not likely to cause any problems. Modern nav and commo gear on aircraft are designed to not have sensitivities to anything a consumer device can legally emit. The reason I get from airline folks is they don't want you annoying other passengers.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Cellphone Signals Interfering Airplane Control [message #89754 is a reply to message #89734] Fri, 08 February 2019 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
gofar99 wrote on Wed, 06 February 2019 20:37
The reason I get from airline folks is they don't want you annoying other passengers.
Good to know about this because my partner is afraid that the plane might crash due to the phones being used during takeoffs and landings. Now I would ask the airline folks how passengers using their phones during those times would annoy or irritate other passengers.
Re: Cellphone Signals Interfering Airplane Control [message #89804 is a reply to message #89731] Tue, 12 February 2019 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
You know the first time I ever flew, I heard the flight attendant ask us to put our phones on flight mode yet no one went around to check if everyone was abiding. Just like gofar explains, there could be no real danger after all.
Re: Cellphone Signals Interfering Airplane Control [message #89813 is a reply to message #89731] Tue, 12 February 2019 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
There must be a reason for the airline companies to advise us to switch off the phones or set to flight mode during takeoffs and landings. I guess it is just a precaution that doesn't really affect the flight itself. If phone manufacturers have the flight mode in their cell phones, then there must be a need for that, which we don't really know.
Re: Cellphone Signals Interfering Airplane Control [message #89865 is a reply to message #89731] Thu, 28 February 2019 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
There may have been a risk in the past, like with hospitals. You weren't allowed to have cell phones on at a hospital because the signals could interfere with the equipment. Heck, I noticed the other day when I was pumping gas, it said no cell phones beside the no smoking sign. Laughing I've never noticed that one before! Guess I'm unobservant.
Re: Cellphone Signals Interfering Airplane Control [message #89929 is a reply to message #89731] Sat, 16 March 2019 07:51 Go to previous message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
I think there is no problem with precautions even though we don't know the reason for turning off the cellphones on airplanes, hospitals, or gas stations. Better be safe than sorry, as the saying goes.
Previous Topic: Love/Hate Relationship with Christmas Songs
Next Topic: Gaming Audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:58:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout