Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi Plan Request (4 Pi Plans)
4 Pi Plan Request [message #89710] Mon, 04 February 2019 22:57 Go to next message
emmvette is currently offline  emmvette
Esquire
Hi, Wayne, Thank you for all you do for the DIY community! I would like the 4Pi plans please. I have a pair of nice Barzilay cabinets that I would like to repurpose into 4Pi speakers. They currently have Altec 604E duplexs in them. Those will go to larger cabinets and these beautiful cabinets will get a new life Smile
Thanks,
Eric
Re: 4 Pi Plan Request [message #89716 is a reply to message #89710] Tue, 05 February 2019 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!
Re: 4 Pi Plan Request [message #89717 is a reply to message #89716] Tue, 05 February 2019 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thank you very much. Is it a bad idea to stray from the volume - looks like these are approx 3.13 cubic feet. I was thinking of starting with some old Barzilay cabinets which are about 4.5 cubic feet. Should I discard that idea and start fresh?
Maybe a better question is - how do I determine if putting these components in a 4.5 cubic foot enclosure would work well?

The existing cabinet (inside) dimensions are 23.5 tall x 20.5" wide x 16.3 deep.
Re: 4 Pi Plan Request [message #89721 is a reply to message #89717] Tue, 05 February 2019 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

With very few exceptions, I suggest to everyone that they do not modify cabinet dimensions unless they are willing to perform acoustic testing and possibly to make changes adjusting for anything they might find.

In so doing, this defeats the purpose of even using a particular design, except maybe as a starting point for a new design. I definitely wouldn't go through all that effort just to use an existing cabinet. It is much easier to build a new cabinet than it is to re-design, which may require several test cabinets and/or crossover changes on the way to finding the final design.

The reasons are described in the Pi Speakers FAQ. See especially the last five links in the "Cabinet Design" section of the FAQ.
Re: 4 Pi Plan Request [message #89722 is a reply to message #89721] Tue, 05 February 2019 14:25 Go to previous message
Esquire
That makes sense. Why fiddle with what you know works?!!
Previous Topic: 2 Pi Magic
Next Topic: 8 pi plan request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:25:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout