Home » Audio » General » Safe to buy used/refurbished?
Safe to buy used/refurbished? [message #89671] Fri, 01 February 2019 14:52 Go to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
I'm outfitting my new media room and I'm wondering which audio and visual gear is probably safe to buy used/refurbished? Is there anything I should expect to buy brand new and only brand new?
Re: Safe to buy used/refurbished? [message #89675 is a reply to message #89671] Fri, 01 February 2019 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I've been happy with the used musical instruments, amps, and speakers that I've bought over the years. I personally wouldn't consider buying a used television because the technology changes so quickly.
Re: Safe to buy used/refurbished? [message #89679 is a reply to message #89671] Sat, 02 February 2019 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
This is subjective because just as musicluvr opines, there are certain devices that are best bought as new. Over the years, people have tended to shun the refurbished items because of their shorter lifespan. I would buy a used item only if it was in a fairly good condition. You definitely have to conduct your due diligence.
Re: Safe to buy used/refurbished? [message #89687 is a reply to message #89671] Sat, 02 February 2019 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Buy from a reputable dealer that has a guarantee on the stuff and return policies that are reasonable. Otherwise it is probably just fine.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Safe to buy used/refurbished? [message #89695 is a reply to message #89671] Mon, 04 February 2019 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
The "return policy" is a very important fine print. If you like tinkering equipment, then better opt for refurbished gear for your experiments. I would rather save more for a new device if I don't want to worry about broken equipment.
Re: Safe to buy used/refurbished? [message #91136 is a reply to message #89671] Mon, 11 November 2019 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Aside from a turntable, buying refurbished should be fine if you know the seller to be reputable. I would have no clue how someone could refurbish a turntable though. The very nature of its working parts would make it impossible.
Re: Safe to buy used/refurbished? [message #91152 is a reply to message #91136] Wed, 13 November 2019 20:42 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Turntable refurbishing is done all the time. Ones from the 70s seem to be the ones in most demand. It was a time when the companies wanted to outdo each other and make really great gear. Check out vinylengine.com forum for turntable info. Lots of friendly folks and great info. BTW, the TTs I have that I like the best are from the mid 70s.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Audio Controls In The Back Seat
Next Topic: Theme Song for A Blog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:46:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers