Home » Audio » Source » Modern Turntable Recs
Modern Turntable Recs [message #89674] Fri, 01 February 2019 17:17 Go to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
Which current brands make excellent modern turntables? I've been looking around and they current models seem to be held together with a bunch of plastic and a prayer.
Re: Modern Turntable Recs [message #89681 is a reply to message #89674] Sat, 02 February 2019 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Technics! They're reintroducing various models akin to their venerable 1200.
Re: Modern Turntable Recs [message #89699 is a reply to message #89674] Mon, 04 February 2019 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
I like my portable turntable that was made by Crosley. It doesn't take up a lot of space, it has built-in speakers, and it has held up well so far. I think some people prefer to fix up old turntables from yesteryear, but that can get expensive once you're sourcing parts.
Re: Modern Turntable Recs [message #89703 is a reply to message #89674] Mon, 04 February 2019 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like Technics direct-drive turntables too. And are also very nice turntables from Rega and VPI. Each of those manufacturers offer moderately-priced high-quality turntables.

There are a ton of low-fi tables with ceramic cartridges and low-quality tone arms and mechanisms. They're the "plastic and a prayer" devices you are talking about. I won't list any of those here.

And there are also plenty or turntables that cost as much as luxury automobiles. I won't list those here either.
Re: Modern Turntable Recs [message #89706 is a reply to message #89674] Mon, 04 February 2019 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, it largely depends on the price. You can get decent players from Rega and Pro-ject as examples. But the lowest price range where there are any good ones (IMO) starts at about $400. Pretty much everything below that price point is as you noticed plastic and flimsy. Beware of brand names that were famous in years gone by that are now made as budget devices to lure you into thinking you are getting a high quality unit. Think along the lines that the software (records) will rapidly be more valuable than the thing they are played on. 20 new LPs at retail prices will equal the cost of a modest player. Even bought from used record exchange stores they will end up being the bigger part of the investment. You need to protect them from excessive wear and damage and cheap turntables place them at serious risk.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Modern Turntable Recs [message #89748 is a reply to message #89706] Thu, 07 February 2019 13:04 Go to previous message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
I have received some great replies here. I sure appreciate it too. I owned a music (new and antiques) years ago before selling it. So, I was rather surprised at how terribly turntables are thrown together today. I see I was just looking in the wrong places. It's amazing how things have changed. I don't mind spending a bit more for something that will last and won't damage my vinyl records. I had hoped to see it in stores to get a feel for the player, but I see I'll probably have to order one online instead as I'm leaning towards Technics from the suggestions so far.
Previous Topic: Too Many Choices
Next Topic: Better Than MP3?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:50:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout