Home » Audio » Home Theater » Streaming or DVD.
Streaming or DVD. [message #89639] Tue, 29 January 2019 10:45 Go to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
Do you normally stream your movies off services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon or watch them the (now) old-fashioned way on DVD? I was resistant to the streaming revolution at first but I prefer it now. I'm lazy and it prevents me from having to get up and deal with a disc. Laughing
Re: Streaming or DVD. [message #89644 is a reply to message #89639] Tue, 29 January 2019 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

With a good internet connection, streaming can be really good. Surprisingly good, considering the IP technology underneath it all, which is not meant for real-time signals. IP data is broken into packets which are individually sent, leaving some to potentially arrive late or not at all. But streaming video content is buffered sufficiently that it's more like a download than a real-time stream. The buffering allows time for any delayed packets to arrive.

All that said, physical media takes network connectivity out of the equation which increases stability and potentially quality too. This is especially true for Bluray disks, which generally have high-quality video and audio content.
Re: Streaming or DVD [message #89649 is a reply to message #89639] Tue, 29 January 2019 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Wayne sums up what streaming is all bout vis-a-vis what we are used to with physical media. You really need a strong connection to be able to seamlessly watch a movie. Both of these have their own strong points, depending on preference and convenience.
Re: Streaming or DVD [message #89764 is a reply to message #89649] Sat, 09 February 2019 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
I think it depends on where you're streaming from too. I have no issues with streaming from Netflix, but Amazon Prime Video is a whole different story. It gets hung up often, especially when it's a popular show. I buy digital movies more often than DVDs or Blu-ray discs. It's just more convenient to watch on my tablet or phone that way.
Re: Streaming or DVD [message #89769 is a reply to message #89764] Sat, 09 February 2019 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just recently started using streaming service using the Roku interface. Freebie service has commercials, and the premium like Netflix, well, I let the trial period go. I think it's bull. The best source I've come across and is free with no commercials is Kanopy. Which is tied in to your library system. The only drawback is a monthly limitation of what you can view. There's other things to do other than the lure of slickly produced banality of Netflix. If I liked something well enough, I'd just go for the dvd. Or, wait for the freebie service to pick it up.
Re: Streaming or DVD [message #89787 is a reply to message #89769] Mon, 11 February 2019 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I'm really digging the convenience of Netflix's Smart Download feature. It deletes the last episode I watched before automatically downloading the next one. It requires an internet connection to download, of course, but after that you can watch without being connected to Wi-Fi. It's great for travel.
Re: Streaming or DVD [message #89807 is a reply to message #89787] Tue, 12 February 2019 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
The only bad thing about streaming is that you're continuously paying for content that you'll never own outright. I have a Netflix subscription, but I buy Blu-ray discs and DVDs too.
Re: Streaming or DVD [message #92852 is a reply to message #89807] Fri, 25 December 2020 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MRikki is currently offline  MRikki
Baron
Strum Drum wrote on Tue, 12 February 2019 13:34
The only bad thing about streaming is that you're continuously paying for content that you'll never own outright. I have a Netflix subscription, but I buy Blu-ray discs and DVDs too.
This! I like owning physical copies of my favorite shows and movies, because it can be so unpredictable as to when certain shows are removed from a streaming service. Being caught in show limbo is the worst. I'm in the US, and I remember when Doctor Who was taken off of Netflix. I'd gotten really invested in the show, and I couldn't finish because the show was gone from the platform.
Re: Streaming or DVD. [message #92962 is a reply to message #89639] Sat, 16 January 2021 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
Streaming is convenient if you have a decent internet connection but the problem is when choosing what to watch. While with DVD, since you have limited options it's easier to chill and watch what's available. I'd prefer streaming though since you can choose any genre anytime depending on the mood.
Re: Streaming or DVD. [message #93000 is a reply to message #89639] Sat, 23 January 2021 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
I have not rented a DVD in years. I have rented from our cable company. We watch most movies on Netflix or Amazon Prime now. There really hasn't been anything new out lately that has been any good.
Previous Topic: Projector Suggestions?
Next Topic: Powered soundbars
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:40:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout