Home » Audio » Speaker » Speaker Lifespan
Speaker Lifespan [message #89584] Thu, 17 January 2019 11:31 Go to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
How long do you expect to get out of your speakers? Maybe I'm just cursed (or doing something wrong) but my speakers never seem to last too long. I need replacements every few years. I don't notice other people replacing speakers very often. Is it just me?
Re: Speaker Lifespan [message #89588 is a reply to message #89584] Fri, 18 January 2019 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
What are you doing to them? Are you over driving them? What kind are they? I've built my speakers from plans and some are over 20 years old strong. One of them is a Pi by the by.
Re: Speaker Lifespan [message #89590 is a reply to message #89584] Fri, 18 January 2019 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, For conventional speakers I figure about 25-30 years or so.. I have some Klipsch KG4s from ca 1976 and they are just fine. I reconed a set of Altec 10-10s that were about the same age about 5 years ago. I did the recone because one got
damaged not because they failed. On the other had a set of Pioneers only went 10 years before going south. For other types like my ESLs they recommend changing the mylar at about 15 years. Mine are now 10 and show no signs of problems. Other folks might have some different experiences but if you need to change/repair yours more often you are probably over driving them and causing issues with the coil wires or former.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Speaker Lifespan [message #89600 is a reply to message #89584] Mon, 21 January 2019 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
I had a set of speakers for over 10 years and I only disposed them when I needed to upgrade and get better ones. It seems to me that the ones that we build on our own can even last longer, based on the quality of materials used.
Re: Speaker Lifespan [message #89686 is a reply to message #89600] Sat, 02 February 2019 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
The speakers I've had to replace quickly were due to my own mishandling. Pulling on the cord because I was too lazy to walk to the wall socket and pull the plug caused it to fray. Using my speakers as drink coasters caused a short once I spilled a can of Coke right inside it. Teenage me learned some valuable life lessons.
Re: Speaker Lifespan [message #89909 is a reply to message #89584] Mon, 11 March 2019 10:34 Go to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I am listening right now to a pair of 1950's era Electro-Voice coaxial drivers. They sound great! I think a lot depends on how they were taken care of.

Dave
Previous Topic: Bluetooth or Wired
Next Topic: Length of Speaker Wiring
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:12:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers