Home » Audio » Radio » Radio Hosts Making a Difference
Radio Hosts Making a Difference [message #89414] Thu, 20 December 2018 17:39 Go to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
I read an article on The Guardian website about a UK comedian and radio host who saved a caller's life who was trying to commit suicide. Ian Lee, the host, had candidly disclosed on the air his battle with depression and it sounds like the suicidal man felt Lee could understand him. The man took an overdose of pills and Lee kept him on the line while trying to pinpoint the callers location for emergency services. It appears that phone call saved the man's life. It really is a heartwarming story and I hope the man will be okay.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/dec/20/talkradio-host-iain-lee-suicidal-caller-phone

My local radio station has two hilarious morning hosts who have also made a difference. Last year an older woman would call in rather frequently, even though she never had much to say. Instead of teasing her or refusing to take her calls, the hosts figured that she was just lonely and wanted to hear a human voice. Turns out they were right. She was a widow and her children moved away. She was frail and very much alone. The two hosts asked if they could visit her and they've been close ever since.

I know prerecorded shows are popular, but the style can never replace that human connection you get with a live radio host.

Re: Radio Hosts Making a Difference [message #89418 is a reply to message #89414] Fri, 21 December 2018 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Thanks for sharing those two sweet stories. I'm glad that Ian Lee was able to lend a hand and keep the guy talking. I don't know what I would do in that intense situation, but Lee handled it perfectly. I never considered how radio hosts might play a part in the community-at-large. You've given me something to chew on.
Re: Radio Hosts Making a Difference [message #89567 is a reply to message #89414] Sun, 13 January 2019 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Such heartwarming stories indeed. For a long time, radio hosts have shaped a lot of what goes on around us more than anything you could ever experience in other media, like TV. Even though a lot has changed in recent years, tuning in to a radio program has a certain feel to it and we all probably have that favorite radio presenter.
Re: Radio Hosts Making a Difference [message #89591 is a reply to message #89414] Fri, 18 January 2019 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
It's nice to hear some heartwarming stories instead of all the negative headlines that I encounter daily. Thanks for the reminder that there are still some good people in this world; sometimes I forget!
Re: Radio Hosts Making a Difference [message #91778 is a reply to message #89414] Tue, 28 April 2020 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
musicluvr wrote on Thu, 20 December 2018 17:39

Last year an older woman would call in rather frequently, even though she never had much to say. Instead of teasing her or refusing to take her calls, the hosts figured that she was just lonely and wanted to hear a human voice. Turns out they were right. She was a widow and her children moved away. She was frail and very much alone. The two hosts asked if they could visit her and they've been close ever since.

Do you know how much a feel-good story would be appreciated in this day and age? It would go viral in no time flat and the hosts would be instant stars.

It's funny how the same act of kindness can be seen differently in two different times.
Re: Radio Hosts Making a Difference [message #91906 is a reply to message #89414] Tue, 19 May 2020 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
A good radio host that has been around a long and has a large following can indeed make a difference. There is one in particular I listen to ever day and over the past year he has changed my views on a few things. Changing my mind about something is not an easy feat. This is why I continue to listen to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq28JbLHNHw

He is on Spotify as well.
Re: Radio Hosts Making a Difference [message #92207 is a reply to message #89414] Sun, 23 August 2020 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
A cry for help is only effective when someone hears it. I'm glad things turned out the way they did. It's also nice to hear that people still care about others.
Re: Radio Hosts Making a Difference [message #93398 is a reply to message #89414] Mon, 29 March 2021 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
That is great and a very uplifting story. Our radio hosts here on one station both lost their jobs (on two networks). They made fun of people. I seriously considered them to be bullies. I was glad they both got fired.
Re: Radio Hosts Making a Difference [message #94813 is a reply to message #93398] Sat, 13 November 2021 15:36 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Mica wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 15:03
That is great and a very uplifting story. Our radio hosts here on one station both lost their jobs (on two networks). They made fun of people. I seriously considered them to be bullies. I was glad they both got fired.
I've heard hosts like that in the past. Makes you wonder how desperate the stations are that they have to hire such low-brow personalities.

Oh well, what can you do except change the station?
Previous Topic: Live music streaming
Next Topic: Radio's Popularity
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:56:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout