Home » Audio » Movies & Music » What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound?
What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound? [message #89086] Fri, 02 November 2018 07:26 Go to next message
Duks is currently offline  Duks
Chancellor
When it comes to the enjoyment of a song, I tend not to put too much emphasis on the meaning or message of the song, in comparison to how it sounds. I can enjoy a song with a very shallow meaning, but sounds good. The beats, rhythm, and general sound are more important factors if you ask me.
Re: What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound? [message #89088 is a reply to message #89086] Sat, 03 November 2018 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Isn't that called the "hook"? Or, grabbing your attention and pulling you in with a melody, beat or rhythm you like. I tend to go that way also. If the lyric's have some depth also then it's gravy. Having been a reggae fan for decades, that rhythm thing has my attention immediately. Might explain why I've tuned into rhythm guitar with other genres as well.
Re: What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound? [message #89104 is a reply to message #89086] Tue, 06 November 2018 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
I would consider both. I like a story being told through music. I agree with both of you that the music of today is very catchy even though we don't really understand the lyrics. Despacito and Oppa Gangnam Style are good examples of what I'm talking about.
Re: What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound? [message #89140 is a reply to message #89104] Fri, 09 November 2018 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I have misinterpreted so many songs over the years. As long as the song has a good beat or a catchy melody I'm playing it regardless of the meaning behind the lyrics.
Re: What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound? [message #89408 is a reply to message #89086] Wed, 19 December 2018 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
It depends what mood I'm in. When I'm feeling good and carefree I prefer to listen to lighthearted, melody-driven music. Turn up the music, get lost in the beat sort of thing. When I'm feeling more introspective or down I prefer to listen to lyrically driven music that makes me pay attention to its story and think about the meaning.
Re: What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound? [message #89495 is a reply to message #89408] Sun, 06 January 2019 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
It's the sound that draws me in. I usually don't learn the song's meaning until I've listened to it a few times and sometimes what I think it's about is totally off base.
Re: What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound? [message #89500 is a reply to message #89086] Sun, 06 January 2019 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
To me, the quality of sound matters a lot, but then, I wouldn't pay attention to a song with a very shallow meaning, just because it sounds good. The two definitely go hand-in hand.
Re: What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound? [message #89570 is a reply to message #89086] Sun, 13 January 2019 05:03 Go to previous message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
Most of the time, I pay attention to the arrangement of the lyrics and notes. The meaning of the song is something that I consider much later after I have listened to the beat. It is possible to listen to and sing along to a song that is meaningless but that has a good beat.
Previous Topic: Star Trek, anyone?
Next Topic: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:55:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout