Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Designing proper acoustics into a building
Designing proper acoustics into a building [message #89369] Sun, 16 December 2018 05:46 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Most of us add acoustic treatments (to a building) after construction, but then there are suggestions that having this in mind during site selection and building orientation almost halves the cost. Is this true?
Re: Designing proper acoustics into a building [message #89377 is a reply to message #89369] Sun, 16 December 2018 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I've done a few DIY projects, but I'm not sure whether designing with acoustics in mind is always less costly. I think the end result will definitely turn out better when you're starting from scratch rather than solving problems later. For instance, if you have a small band and you want to practice at night, you'll know to use dense flooring and to use noise controlling materials between the walls. You'll know the best placement for the electrical outlets and everything else. Overall, designing with acoustics in mind should give you a better experience, but I'm not sure if it's cheaper though.
Re: Designing proper acoustics into a building [message #89391 is a reply to message #89377] Mon, 17 December 2018 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can definitely do a better job for less money when you have acoustics in mind during initial construction. You can use golden ratio room dimensions and walls can be made into panel dampers using constrained layers, for example. Be sure to incorporate both absorption and diffusion in the ceiling.
Re: Designing proper acoustics into a building [message #89439 is a reply to message #89391] Sun, 23 December 2018 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
I figured it would be cheaper to add things later like thick drapes or sound panels than to utilize specific audio friendly building materials. I see I was wrong.
Re: Designing proper acoustics into a building [message #89468 is a reply to message #89369] Tue, 01 January 2019 09:44 Go to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
It's not always cheaper later, and sometimes more costly.

I'm currently working on a quote for an office suite that is approx. 4000' square (Its new construction, in a large, old concrete building).

All of the walls are proposed using 20guage metal studs 16" on center, with "Roxul" safe and sound in the cavities. All office partition walls use resilient channel or "sound channel" (on both sides of framing) every 2' horizontally, topped with 1 sheet of 5/8th's rock.

The common walls also use resilient channel, but with two layers of 5/8th's for both density and fire rating. Ceiling height at this project is about 12.5' (concrete, no drop ceiling). 2'x 4' Owens 703 (2" thick) panels are to be material covered, and hung in each office ceiling at around 10' (parallel to the ceiling).

In my experience, these are some general construction practices that seem to make any office space or lobby a very comfortable space (acoustically), more so after a few pieces of soft furniture are added.

Ive also done this in residential (studio) type settings with good general effect.

Previous Topic: Measuring The Quality of Sound
Next Topic: Reflection of sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:39:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout