Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Why the discrepancies?
Why the discrepancies? [message #89319] Sat, 08 December 2018 14:34 Go to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
I'm creating a DIY media room in my home and would like to get the best sound possible. When I take on a new project I usually start by googling about it. Google search is the fount of all knowledge after all. Well, have you ever noticed the instructional discrepancies when it comes to audio articles and videos? One resource will claim that doing X, Y, and Z will give you the best sound, while another resource claims that X, Y, and Z won't work, but A, B, and C will do the trick. What gives?
Re: Why the discrepancies? [message #89321 is a reply to message #89319] Sun, 09 December 2018 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

These kinds of differences in opinion happen in every discipline.

In audio, it's always best to look at the measurement data.
Re: Why the discrepancies? [message #89323 is a reply to message #89321] Sun, 09 December 2018 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I'm with Wayne on that one. Sound can be measured, music not so much. For example the way I have my system set, including the various diffusers and speaker locations suits my taste fine. If you put ten listeners in the sweet spot seat, probably at least half would want to change something. There are a number of PC programs in existence that will help determine nulls and peaks in rooms and give you an idea of what might be bad, but to achieve nirvana you will most likely have to fiddle with speaker and listener locations as well as things to diffuse sound.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Why the discrepancies? [message #89344 is a reply to message #89323] Tue, 11 December 2018 20:56 Go to previous message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
I guess I can understand that. I've taken on different remodeling projects before, but they've always came with specific instructions. I'm newly retired and wanted to try something new to keep me busy. I'll adjust my expectations for this media room and will consider the DIY info to be guidelines rather than concrete directions. It makes sense that a lot of it is subjective now that you've mentioned it. Thank you Wayne Parham and gofar99 for the help!
Previous Topic: Learning to Solder
Next Topic: What are you working on?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:56:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout