Home » Audio » Radio » Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital?
Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital? [message #89198] Wed, 14 November 2018 00:37 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
The scanner came from either Circuit City or Radio Shack, so there's no chance of finding guidance at a brick and mortar store. It's a Uniden Bearcat. The model number is tough to read, but I believe it is BC8OxCT. There are 50 channels. I've found a couple of articles about this type of scanner. On Fixya's website it appears there's a slight consensus that it's better to consider it obsolete and to buy a digital scanner instead. Do you all agree? If it's convertible can you share a resource for DIY conversion from analog to digital?
Re: Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital? [message #89666 is a reply to message #89198] Thu, 31 January 2019 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I'm not sure whether your analog scanner is convertible, but digital scanners are fairly affordable so it's probably easier to just buy the more modern version.
Re: Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital? [message #89822 is a reply to message #89198] Wed, 13 February 2019 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
Digital scanners have higher sound quality and more range than analog. I don't see a reason to stick with the analog scanner. I'm usually a stickler for the older versions of things, but in this case, go for the upgrade.
Re: Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital? [message #90284 is a reply to message #89822] Fri, 10 May 2019 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
If you don't want to buy an updated digital scanner, try using one of the apps that work on smartphones. I use this app from iTunes and it's a decent replacement for a standalone scanner.
Re: Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital? [message #90310 is a reply to message #90284] Mon, 13 May 2019 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I should have known to search for an app, Augustus, but it never crossed my mind. That's a fantastic solution because I already have a some tablets and a couple iPod touches lying around that my grandfather and uncles can use.
Re: Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital? [message #90312 is a reply to message #89198] Mon, 13 May 2019 01:26 Go to previous message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I am also a stickler for older versions because most of the time, they are of great quality but in this case, you are better off searching for newer digital versions. Augustus, I have heard great reviews about the app you just shared and I think I will now have to download it.
Previous Topic: The mystery around presenters
Next Topic: Cheap ways to upgrade the car radio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:02:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout