Home » Audio » Home Theater » Dark Setting
Dark Setting [message #88917] Sun, 30 September 2018 11:24 Go to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
Most of us would like to watch movies in a dark setting. But my mother, who is a very health conscious individual, told me that watching in the dark will have a negative effect on my eyes. I still watch in the dark, but I would like to know whether there is some grain of truth to what my mother told me.
Re: Dark Setting [message #88922 is a reply to message #88917] Mon, 01 October 2018 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
The ideal home theater experience is that a room should be dark, but with enough illumination to allow people move around freely. I don't really think there would be any effect to your eyes but again, your mother is just being cautious, which isn't a bad thing per se.
Re: Dark Setting [message #88965 is a reply to message #88917] Tue, 09 October 2018 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I understand what you mean about being cautious, but sometimes I think my mother is becoming paranoid about watching movies in the dark. I think the lack of research regarding this matter might mean that the eyes aren't really affected when watching in the dark.
Re: Dark Setting [message #88969 is a reply to message #88917] Tue, 09 October 2018 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I don't like it when a room is too dark, just as a matter of preference. Have you ever tried to walk into a dark room and ended up struggling to see? As drake says, the idea is to have just enough light, to enable people to move around in the room, with ease.
Re: Dark Setting [message #88996 is a reply to message #88917] Wed, 10 October 2018 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
You both have a point walking in a dark room. But when we are watching a film, then there would be light coming from the TV or the projecture. So I don't think there is a problem walking in a dark room while watching.
Re: Dark Setting [message #89026 is a reply to message #88917] Sun, 21 October 2018 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duks is currently offline  Duks
Chancellor
I don't believe the impact is too significant, although a really bright screen in a very dark room may cause some discomfort to your eyes. I've also heard a similar notion about sitting too close to the screen.
Re: Dark Setting [message #89028 is a reply to message #88917] Mon, 22 October 2018 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
Duks has a good point about the distance of the eyes from a screen. I would believe regarding the computer screens that may damage the eyes when we look at the screen for a long period of time and at a short distance.
Re: Dark Setting [message #89045 is a reply to message #88917] Tue, 23 October 2018 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Not to knock anyone's mother...I doubt it. Same goes for watching too close and other similar folk tales. In the really early days of TV the tubes sometimes (in poorly designed sets) would emit more Xrays than we now allow...but with flat screen TVs this is a thing of the past. There are no XRays emitted. If darkness was a problem movie theaters would not use it. I would keep just enough light around so as to not fall on your face heading for the fridge for a cold one. Laughing

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Dark Setting [message #89049 is a reply to message #89045] Wed, 24 October 2018 10:53 Go to previous message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
gofar99 wrote on Tue, 23 October 2018 17:44
I would keep just enough light around so as to not fall on your face heading for the fridge for a cold one. Laughing
Haha... The light of the TV screen should be enough for you to see where you are going.

I think the radiation thing is not the problem. It is more about the eyes fixed on the screen and that it might strain the eyes.
Previous Topic: Carpet In Home Theater
Next Topic: Is a home theatre system really necessary?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:54:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio