Home » Audio » Radio » Creating My Own Radio Station
Creating My Own Radio Station [message #88997] Wed, 10 October 2018 20:52 Go to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
This dream might be next to impossible. However, I would like to know how to set up a radio station. How much investment do I need to have in order for me to run that radio station?
Re: Creating My Own Radio Station [message #89001 is a reply to message #88997] Thu, 11 October 2018 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It might be simpler to buy an existing one. Considering all the gear that goes into one, the need for source media to play on it, licensing fees and on and on I suspect that it would be really expensive. I would estimate over $100K minimum. There was a time when you could set up a low power FM station as an educational one. This was often done at colleges. The range was typically 10 miles or so. The equipment is naturally less expensive and the various requirements lower. Still at least one person had to have a commercial radio license to maintain and keep the equipment operating in a legal mode, and the problems with media and maintenance were much the same as with commercial stations. This is not soumething you can casually set up in your home. The one I worked at had a console / control room, equipment room, media storage, transmitter room and an office to handle all the paperwork necessary to permit operation.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Creating My Own Radio Station [message #89004 is a reply to message #88997] Fri, 12 October 2018 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
You mentioned that we should have a radio license to remain legal. It makes me wonder whether there are radio stations that are operating illegally. I thought we can only get our own frequency when we register to get our license.
Re: Creating My Own Radio Station [message #89007 is a reply to message #89004] Fri, 12 October 2018 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, You need a station license which probably would come with an assigned frequency and power limit. Not all types are available in all areas. You also need a person that is licensed to maintain and oversee the station operation. That person would insure (think along both technical and legal certification lines) that the station is operating properly and in accordance with the license. Unless something has changed that person would need a "general class" commercial class license. That is not a simple thing as there were educational requirements and a fairly comprehensive test was required. I have a lot of experience (57 years) in nearly all fields of electronics and would likely have to study extensively to get such a license. Now if you happen to hold a degree in radio frequency engineering then that part would be fairly simple. You would still need to study the legal issues and regulations that apply to station operation.

All bets are off on illegally operating stations.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Creating My Own Radio Station [message #89065 is a reply to message #88997] Sun, 28 October 2018 10:14 Go to previous message
Viscount
Don't get me wrong as I don't own an illegally operated radio station. I'm thinking whether there are illegal radio stations. I don't need to know the repercussions of such operations, but what could be the reasons why people would do this?
Previous Topic: Radio Plays
Next Topic: Radio outdated?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:34:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout