Home » Audio » Radio » Radio Plays
Radio Plays [message #88658] Fri, 10 August 2018 03:17 Go to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
In the old days, people listen to drama and comedy on the radio. I remember the radio plays when they created sound effects, and it sounded real enough for me to believe what I'm hearing. Do you still listen to any of the radio plays?
Re: Radio Plays [message #88687 is a reply to message #88658] Wed, 15 August 2018 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I would if there were any on.

I remember traveling through an Indian reservation months ago (The interstate nearby, actually) and there was a Native owned radio stattion that served their community I found while band surfing. I got to their bandwidth as they were reading a story that was aimed toward the young people. It sounded like a bed-time story of sorts.

That is the closest thing I came to hearing a play on the radio. It was a novel thing to listen to. Pretty unique in this day and age.
Re: Radio Plays [message #88693 is a reply to message #88687] Thu, 16 August 2018 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The closest thing comparable to the old radio shows was the modern radio show Prairie Home Companion. Which ran for decades. They did the show live with a studio audience and utilized all the old sound effects techniques and talented vocalizations of sound effects. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Prairie_Home_Companion
Re: Radio Plays [message #88882 is a reply to message #88658] Tue, 25 September 2018 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
The creativity of radio plays is amazing because they need to portray something just by making the sounds and the voice acting. We are used to movies nowadays that we easily get bored when listening to a story or radio play on the radio.
Re: Radio Plays [message #88973 is a reply to message #88658] Tue, 09 October 2018 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
The originality and authenticity that existed back in the day, in as far as radio plays were concerned, cannot be compared to anything in the present. I doubt if people still listen to them, now that we have movies and other visual media.
Re: Radio Plays [message #88976 is a reply to message #88973] Tue, 09 October 2018 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Years ago. Back in the early 70's. I remember hearing a British version of the War Of The Worlds on the radio. It was and still is one of the most compelling version of this classic I've experienced. Having seen the original movie and remake, (both entertaining), were still not as captivating as hearing this version acted out orally via a vinyl recording played on the radio. Like a good book, your imagination takes over, creating your own unique mind's eye of the events. It would be a great come back if some how this format was reintroduced for today's or tomorrow's generation. I think it'd do em some good.
Re: Radio Plays [message #88988 is a reply to message #88658] Wed, 10 October 2018 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Rusty, I think you are not rusty on what you just explained. What you said is a great example of radio plays in the old days. However, it will be a hard sell to the common folks these days because they have TV shows or movies that are more engaging than just listening to the radio plays.
Re: Radio Plays [message #88990 is a reply to message #88658] Wed, 10 October 2018 14:44 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No illusions Groot of it's revival, my flight of fancy is all. Just that, my point could be that the engagement required today is of a more passive undertaking. No imagination required. Just take it all in. As you mentioned, you believed in the sound effects, with a little help from your mind.
Previous Topic: Building a crystal radio
Next Topic: Creating My Own Radio Station
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:38:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout