Home » Audio » General » Ants Inside The Speakers
Ants Inside The Speakers [message #88982] Wed, 10 October 2018 01:03 Go to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
The ants made a nest inside my old speaker. Does anyone know why ants love to make a nest in my speaker? This is the second time that I have to open and clean my speaker because of the ant's nest.
Re: Ants Inside The Speakers [message #88983 is a reply to message #88982] Wed, 10 October 2018 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Those ants must love their 'new' home and that is probably why they keep coming back Razz . Nonetheless, it isn't uncommon to see ants in such devices especially since most of them don't excavate their own holes and tunnels. I hope they have never caused any short circuiting of the wiring units? I have never quite heard of a permanent remedy.
Re: Ants Inside The Speakers [message #88992 is a reply to message #88982] Wed, 10 October 2018 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Usually the only reason ants will build a nest inside something wood is they want to eat it. Carpenter ants out here are always a problem and can destroy a house if left alone. I believe I would next time spray some long acting ant killer inside the speaker. it would likely deter them. Other remidies are out there as well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Ants Inside The Speakers [message #89002 is a reply to message #88982] Thu, 11 October 2018 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
The wood and the rainy season could be the cause for these ants to reside in my speaker. At first, I thought they were carrying rice, then I realized it was their eggs they were carrying. I don't want them to destroy my speaker, but I also have sympathy for them because they are just trying to survive.
Re: Ants Inside The Speakers [message #89005 is a reply to message #88982] Fri, 12 October 2018 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
Is spraying safe for the speaker parts? I'm thinking that the chemicals in the insect spray may rust the metal parts in the speaker.

How about the heat in the speaker, can ants be attracted to the warmth that the speaker is producing?
Re: Ants Inside The Speakers [message #89006 is a reply to message #89005] Fri, 12 October 2018 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I would be sparing with the spray but it is not likely to harm anything as long as you keep it off the speaker cones. I doubt that you are generating significant heat inside the enclosures. Figure that about an average of 1-5 watts of power is being dissipated in the speakers unless you are doing something really odd like compressed music at a concert. Then maybe you would see up to 10% of what the amplifier could deliver.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Ants Inside The Speakers [message #89027 is a reply to message #88982] Mon, 22 October 2018 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I agree with gofar. Maybe Malfoy is thinking about spraying inside the speaker which might actually affect the speakers because the metals can get corroded due to the chemicals from the spray.
Re: Ants Inside The Speakers [message #89044 is a reply to message #89027] Tue, 23 October 2018 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I believe there are a number of "home" remedies that can be used to deter them that a likely to be OK inside speakers. I would do a search on Google and see. As long as your ants are not from the vintage movie "Them" then you should be able to get rid of them. Shocked They used a nuc I seem to recall.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Ants Inside The Speakers [message #89053 is a reply to message #88982] Thu, 25 October 2018 10:25 Go to previous message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
I agree with the nuke, that is the best solution for this ant problem.

I had experienced before and there is a chalk that will deter ants from crossing it. You can check ant chalk on the internet.
Previous Topic: Music During Pregnancy
Next Topic: Fake reviews
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:55:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout